ad: portazero-1

The interesting downward trend of the HF transceivers

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by IK0WMJ, Sep 13, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KK4VRE

KK4VRE Ham Member QRZ Page

"Nope!"? What kind of 'word' is that? Do you also utilize "D-oh!" and "yeah" now (along with "yikes!", they're all slang and unworthy of use [regardless of what a 'new' dictionary says])?

"Whomever wrote that article needs to brush up on their grammar, and check for mistakes..."
    Is not "Whomever" the object of "the article".
    Is not "Whomever wrote the article" the subject of "brush up on their grammar"?
    Is there a short-circuit in my thinking of 'the rules'? Now you have me doubting myself in this matter.

2. OH2FFY

OH2FFY Ham Member QRZ Page

... and your source for this 'fact' is ?

gregW:) OH2FFY

3. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nope.

If terms like "subjective case" and "objective case" don't make it clear for you, try this trick.

If you can substitute "him", then "whom" will work (it's objective case). If you can substitute "he", then "who" is the correct option (it's subjective case).

"He went to the store." "He" is objective case, so it would be "Who went to the store" , or "Whoever went to the store forgot to buy bread".

"Mary left it for him" "Him" is objective case, so "Mary left it for whom?", or "Mary left it for whomever wants to take it."

For the phrase in question, ask yourself whether would you say "He wrote that article", or "Him wrote that article". You'd say "he", so it's in subjective case in that clause.

But the important clause is the one that ends in "... needs to brush up on his grammar". "He needs to brush up on his grammar". Since you would use "he", it is subjective case, and neither "whom" nor "whomever" would be appropriate.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  4. KN6Q

KN6Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I would also like to know the source, but take any period after IC-7300 has been released, and I would not doubt that if it's the #1 selling radio right now. QST heaped praise on it, and everyone I know that has one loves the thing. The price dip for the 991 is easily explainable, they are coming out with the 991A and need to get rid of the 991 stock. The price of the 7200 did the exact same thing right before the release of 7300, you could get the 7200 all over the place for under $900.

5. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Look at what's happening right now with IC-7410's. AES must have had a s**t load of them in inventory, so now HRO has them at $999 after the $275 rebate. Even better is their open box inventory, at about $850 after rebate. And I bet they will go even lower if they can't move them. Good luck to anyone trying to sell one on the ham sites. Most of them I've seen recently were in the $900 range, I guess they will have to adjust and relist. Perhaps the same fete will befall the 7600 when the 7610 hits the market.
    Rich
    WR3V

KN6Q likes this.
  6. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

And by the way, we are coming up on the Christmas sale season so anybody with an itchy wallet would be well served to wait and see what bargains come our way.

7. KN6Q

KN6Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly. That's why we can't draw conculsions from price data on that chart, given the impending 991A. Again, I would not be surprised if the 7300 is kicking butt, however, I would like to see real data. It also would not surprise me if Yaesu isn't just fine. The 991 and the 1200 are nice radios and a good deal right now.

8. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

991's (not A) are $879 right now at HRO. Good grief, if this is not a buyers market then I don't know what is. Up to just recently, you could buy a rig and get pretty close to your money back. I see that disappearing quickly as prices on new iron falls.

9. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

I would be willing to bet that Yaesu sells the most, followed by Icom (more so now with the 7300), then Kenwood, and barely mentioned is Alinco. Not counting niches like Elecraft, Flex, etc.

10. K4VWS

K4VWS Ham Member QRZ Page

Since when can a noun ("article" in this case) have an object? So far as I know, only a verb or a preposition can take an object. Here, "Whoever" (not "Whomever") is the subject of the verb "wrote" or, put another way, is the subject in the clause "Whoever wrote the article...."

The crap in the first paragraph of your reply is unworthy of a response.

WF9Q likes this.
  11. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Collins R390A and 300-G seem to be holding value as separate receiver / transmitter.
    That's been the best way to go.

12. WD8ED

WD8ED Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree... but I see a more of a trend like the IC-7300 with more of a "self contained" SDR type radios becoming the norm. PC based SDR's are great right now and perform wonderfully (in most cases) having to have a PC to actually run the radio is pretty much BS. It doesn't eliminate portable operation, just makes it more difficult. I would also hope that with more self contained SDR based radios that digital operations would be better supported.

I do really like the idea of a 50 volt'ish transmitter. Think of an SDR tranciever with a single BLF188xr final amplifier. A possible KW right in the radio. Probably more like 500-600 watts and get much improved IMD. Do this with with a 12 vdc source and your output would be limited to the current available with the power supply. Add a possible external power supply input to the finals for full output. BLF188s don't take up any more room or cost that much more than the finals in most of these radios. Maybe there are better devices out there. It's just an example. Things like lowpass/bandpass filtering would be a little bigger as well as adding a switching power supply. But with the size of these newer SDR radios there should be room to keep the basic footprint similar to most mid-sized/full size rigs. Obviously, the cost would be higher but there should be considerable savings over buying any external amp of current offerings of solid state 600 watt amps.

The question is, who has the balls to do it first? I think FlexRadio is the type of company to do this. They are on the right track with the new 1500w solid state amp and they have to see that PC based SDR's don't have an unlimited future. The problem with them is their price structuring. While the gear is of top quality, it's just too expensive. Icom is proving that. Others will follow.

Just my two cents....

Thanks,

Ed