ad: CQMM-1

The Ham Nation Pine Board Project

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K9EID/SK2024, Mar 8, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

At one time they looked down on this as "haywire" construction?

2. VE3LYX

VE3LYX Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember working for our neighbour an carpenter as a kid. He had me do the non fun stuff during the summer. He told me once when I smashed my thumb with the hammer once again, looking me in the eye, "The ONLY reason you hit yourself with the hammer is you are looking at the wrong nail!" Stupid as that sounds it proved to be 100% true. You comment brought it to mind again some 56 years later. Thank you.
    It is my opinion those who look down on such construction have never had the experience. Anyone who has built one knows the thrill of having a box of parts from your junkbox spring to life and talk hundreds of miles is a pleasure not to be taken lightly. Not to mention one you will never ever forget. Why, it takes 6 years just to get rid of the grin! I like what Bob said . Because you can "see the circuit. " Hard to do with an appliance.
    donVe3LYX

AK5B likes this.
  3. WW3JR

WW3JR Ham Member QRZ Page

Besides, a little RF burn builds character and teaches lessons!!

AK5B likes this.
  4. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have built stuff like replicas on wood but have not really considered building something more modern than that on wood. Well, we have read the ad, let us see the goods!

5. K7MD

K7MD Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, what do you think about the 6X5 power supply he showed last night?

6. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Meh. When I took electronics in high school, we had these cases full of parts mounted on plates you Velcro'd to the cabinet door, and interconnected with clip-leads. This included vacuum tubes and IF transformers. One of the final projects was building a working receiver. We had a number of high-voltage supplies on the benches, both AC and DC. The only time anyone got shocked was when someone charged a cap and poked someone with it.

I'd like to see a link with *just* this build videos and maybe some photos, schematics and a parts list. I really don't want to fast forward through the replay each week to find the segment.

7. VE3LYX

I have a dual triode rig but it is a transceiver and I built it on metal. The modulator circuit really interests me. Mine is only CW. No reason why one couldn't use fat octal equivalents if we need "The look"
    donVE3LYX

8. K9SPY

K9SPY Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't wanna be mean about it, Joe... but I solidly disagree with you. Hams who pass their tests should know and own their risks. For everyone else, Darwin's rules apply.

K7JBL likes this.
  9. KA7FTP

KA7FTP Ham Member QRZ Page

Will the schematics and boms be posted somewhere?

10. AB4D

AB4D QRZ Lifetime Member #415 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Last month, a ham was killed while working on his amplifier. So it does happen, it's just not publicized.

I am not trying to rain on Bob's effort for a group build, but just noting that lethal voltages in our gear can kill, and it does happen. Safety first. :)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    N2EY likes this.
  11. VE3LYX

In 2014 I fractured my spine in a racing accident. I had been drag racing for 48 years. Crap happens. I am sort of ok but no jogging ;>). However to never allow racing because one ol fart raced once too long would be stupid. I accept or own my problem and look to no one else to blame. My first cousin was electrocuted painting his house in Chicago. We better ban painting now too.
    Same goes for this . First lets be real. Amplfier voltages are usually high. 1250 to 4000 volts with good current. And any one of us know that working on a live AMP is not smart. That is what we need to teach. Do not touch. Never do not build. Looking is fine. Fear mongering perpetuates the current "don't understand , not technical, look what I bought HAM attitude. This series strikes at the every heart of that. It is not a high voltage rig and certainly not high current. And nothing stops you from building a wooden box over it either once it is done. Secondly on the above report. Name place,time and date please. I am not from Missouri but you gotta show me. I am Canadian. We are always suspicious of large stories. The cold winter keeps us grounded.
    don VE3LYX
    "if you will cut a foot off that fish I will blow out my lantern. "

KE4OH likes this.
  12. KC8YXA

KC8YXA Ham Member QRZ Page

Always keep one hand in your pocket at all times.That tip came from an old TV repair man. Remember them they were around back in the 40's-60's.

KK4HPY likes this.
  13. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

************************************************************************************************************************************
    I AGREE!!! I'd built a rather crude 50w xmtr outta "W6SAI's NOVICE HANDBOOK" back in 1962, and had a square/u-shaped chassis (absolutely NO SHIELDING) and a mediocre gnd. using #18 copper wire, running a 6AG7 osc. & a 6L6 amp tube, even the inductor coil (Airdux) WASN'T SHIELDED EITHER!!! So for me I had to get "WISE" IN A HURRY, or have my curly blond locks (now PLATINUM :) straightened by AC or RF!!!

14. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

15. AB3MO

AB3MO Ham Member QRZ Page

This is priceless. I'd like to see the pics of the finished product(s)! Reminds me of the 80 m, 5 watt, type 42 xtal-controlled CW transmitter I built in 1956 and used with an S-85. later followed by a DX-35 back in Cycle 19. Still like to think of, and feel, the warm glow of tubes. Funny, though, I never got zapped by ham gear -- it was always real world gear! :)