ad: Amateur-1

The FT-991/A Firmware Issue Thread

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by PY2RAF, Jul 29, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. PY2RAF

PY2RAF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi there List!

This Thread is meant to be a repository of SOFTWARE/usability issues in the FT-991/A - Hardware design or issues are out of scope.

This aims to help other FT-991/A owners, future buyers and hopefully, catch Yaesu attention and fix it in a future release.

If you also find something that seem to be software rooted, feel free to add to this thread.

2. PY2RAF

Equipment: FT-991A

--

Issue: No VFO B LED indications.
    While the equipment has a LED panel of "VFO B", when you press the A/B button, it always stays in VFO A. Desired state is to flip correctly the LEDs between VFO-A and VFO-B.

Issue: CAT Clock adjustment ignores second fraction
    When you issue a DT1 CAT command, it will ignore the second fraction. The only way to set the time properly at the second precision is issuing a DT1 command at the top of the minute's correct wall time.

Issue: No provisions to mute the Audio Playback (CH1-5) Memories in USB port
    If you define a audio memory, you can note mute it in the USB audio output using the "010 - DVS RX Out Level" - Your favourite CQ call is blared at full volume in your USB port and there are no provisions to mute it - Differently from the "Moni" function, that has a "Off" setting.

Issue: 60m channel memories depicts the CENTER frequency instead of the BORDER frequency
    This is a plain bad design choice and is explained at the FT-857D page (go to the "FAQs tab) and I have confirmed that the 991A indeed works the way the article depicted (and of course, the reference is missing from the FT-991A docs). But that is... Misleading. (Hint: FT-8 channel is CH 3)

Issue: No Clarifier when operating in the 60 m band.
    When operating withing the channelized 60m band, you can not use the clarifier - it won't even activate.

Feature Request: Display thermal state
    The FT-991A has a Thermal information that feeds into the CPU, but this is not exposed through CAT or Meter menus. Would like to see this exposed both to Meter and CAT command.

Feature request: A full Menu page with user-configurable buttons
    Currently, you can only reprogram the bottom menu row (4 buttons). There could be provisions to add a new entire menu page that you could configure its buttons, so you would have extra 6 buttons and potentially configuring every relevant radio aspect in a single page, without shuffling through the 10 page menu.

3. PY2RAF

Issue: No provisions to select audio input for PTT events
    If you issue a PTT down command using the front port, the radio will expect some audio coming through the front mic port.
    Conversely, if you PTT down using the rear DATA/RTTY port (shorting pins 2&3), the radio expects audio signal coming through the rear port.

There are no provisions to configure/select the front PTT signal & use the rear audio signal; or, the rear PTT event and feed from front audio signal.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like the radio is to smart. :D

5. KJ7EAT

KJ7EAT Ham Member QRZ Page

PY2RAF it sounds like you need to do a reboot of your rig. Then start with default settings. I can give you my settings for getting on the air both HF & VFH/UHF. If this is what you are looking for. Just email me at KJ7EAT@arrl.net
    Leslie, KJ7EAT
    73's

6. PY2RAF

Hi @KJ7EAT - Thanks for the advice and for the kind offer.

However, every item here was confirmed with the Yaesu support.

73!

7. AC8AZ

AC8AZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes B bfo lights do not come on when you press A/B button. Almost impossible to discern which one is on unless you but B on a different band. In split mode of course it is displayed on screen. B TX light comes on during TX. 60 meters was channelized on ssb by the FCC I understand why they excluded clarifier. Things have changed a little since then including digi modes.

8. PY2RAF

Issue: Equalizer does not work with USB input + Data VOX / Rear PTT
    Let the scenario: Feeding the audio data using the rear USB port. Plain LSB/USB modes. Not using Data USB/Data LSB.
    If you engage the transmit mode by either Digital Vox or Rear PTT command, the audio comes out clean, without equalization.
    The only way to get the audio to be properly equalized is to trigger the TX by using the front port PTT pin - As soon you short the front PTT pin, the equalizer activates and process the signal.

9. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Other than that Mrs Lincoln. How was the play?

WA6MHZ likes this.
  10. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

"
    Issue: No VFO B LED indications."
    i had a 991a and loved parts of it. i spent much time trying every function. part of the fun of a new rig. i was bewildered by the above and some other mysteries involved in that area.
    im convinced that with the unending possibilities of programmable systems,they cant possibly test every possibility of "button pushing"!!
    it was fun but i took my lumps and returned it because of the useless display compared to the icom 7300. i just saw no use for it...