ad: w5yi

The Basis and Purpose of Amateur(Ham) Radio:

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by N3IFD, Nov 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. N3IFD

N3IFD Ham Member

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2009-title47-vol5/pdf/CFR-2009-title47-vol5-part97.pdf

Title 47 CFR Part 97, Part 97 - Amateur Radio Service, Subpart A - General Provisions, 97.1 Basis and purpose.
    (page 587):

§97.1 Basis and purpose.

[The Basis and Purpose of Amateur(Ham) Radio:]

The rules and regulations in this part are designed to provide an amateur radio service having a fundamental purpose as expressed in the following principles:

(a) Recognition and enhancement of the value of the amateur service to the public as a voluntary noncommercial communication service, particularly with respect to providing emergency communications.

(b) Continuation and extension of the amateur’s proven ability to contribute to the advancement of the radio art.

(c) Encouragement and improvement of the amateur service through rules which provide for advancing skills in both the communication and technical phases of the art.

(d) Expansion of the existing reservoir within the amateur radio service of trained operators, technicians, and electronics experts.

(e) Continuation and extension of the amateur’s unique ability to enhance international goodwill.

I translate and interpret this to mean the following:

(a) We exist, as a service, to be available to the public when needed.

(b) We research and develop new equipment.

(c) The rules we follow are there for our benefit.

(d) Our expertise is so valuable that we are kept as a "national resource".

(e) We are ambassadors to other areas(neighbors, neighborhoods, towns, counties, states, countries, continents, planets, solar systems, etc.).

Do you agree? Do you disagree? Please, let us all know how you feel.

JEFF-N3IFD/AECW
    [​IMG]

P.S.: Corny or not, this needed to be said!
    P.P.S.: If you disagree, which letter(s)?[(?)]

2. NN4RH

NN4RH Subscriber

Mods - you might as well lock this one now before it goes where these usually go.

3. AB1QP

AB1QP Premium Subscriber

4. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member

IB4TL!!!

73 de Jim, N2EY

5. N3IFD

N3IFD Ham Member

--------------------

I translate and interpret this to mean the following:

(a) We exist, as a service, to be available to the public when needed.

(b) We research and develop new equipment.

(c) The rules we follow are there for our benefit.

(d) Our expertise is so valuable that we are kept as a "national resource".

(e) We are ambassadors to other areas(neighbors, neighborhoods, towns, counties, states, countries, continents, planets, solar systems, etc.).

--------------------

(a) YES! It's the least we can do seeing that we have had so much given to us.

(b) YES! SSB is just one example. It's the DX voice standard.

(c) YES! We have a say in it. We can go directly to the F.C.C. and ask for them to change rules.

(d) YES! Commercial interests, when they have a technical question, refer to the "ARRL Radio Amateur's Handbook" and other Ham texts.

(e) YES! After the U.S. Department of State, who else has such easy access? Who else would have such a diversified and distinguished group of members representing the "common citizen"?!

JEFF-N3IFD/AECW
    [​IMG]

P.S.: ___Wiggle, wiggle, send it along;___

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  6. N8CPA

N8CPA Premium Subscriber

Sign at the amusement park: "YOUR SKIN MUST BE AT LEAST THIS THICK TO TAKE THIS RIDE."

IB4EEAC, er, IB4TL.

7. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member

All I can honestly say is.....

Attached Files:

8. WN6U

WN6U Ham Member

The recent storm has driven all the trolls out from under the bridges. IB4TL.

9. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member

I thought hammin' was for shootin' skip and makin' my neighbor's garage door open and close when I'm on the channels !
    SERIOUSLY; knowing the stated basis and purpose is the first thing a new ham should do.
    Just like orders in the military service, "you don't have to agree, you just have to DO IT" !:D

10. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member

My position on this is IB4TL.
    I also grant this thread a single star.:p

11. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member

Although amateurs have been using SSB since the 1930s, they did not invent nor develop it.

73 de Jim, N2EY

12. KT7DAD

KT7DAD Ham Member

You just have to come up with facts?

IB4TL

13. AK4PX

AK4PX Ham Member

(b) research and develop new equipment AND methods.

Methods is where it is at. In terms of military: that's why gear eventually becomes declassified but methods/processes are retained in secrecy.

14. KK4BBG

KK4BBG Ham Member

ib4tl

15. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber

Why does Ham radio exist?
    So that Yaesu, Kenwood and Icom have good sales! if there were no Hams, they might be making VCRs and Toaster ovens!

16. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member

I just stopped in to get my call on the sign in sheet.

IB4TL

17. N3IFD

N3IFD Ham Member

--------------------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-sideband_modulation

Amateur radio operators began serious experimentation with SSB after World War II. The Strategic Air Command established SSB as the radio standard for its aircraft in 1957.[SUP][5][/SUP] It has become a de facto standard for long-distance voice radio transmissions since then.

--------------------

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Technology/pdf/McElroy.pdf

General Curtis LeMay, then K3JUY/K4RFA, from the July 1961 issue of QST, announced his nomination as chief of staff of the US Air Force. During the mid ’50s, Gen LeMay had converted Strategic Air Command communications from AM to SSB, based on his ham experience with the newer mode.

--------------------

JEFF-N3IFD/AECW
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  18. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member

Probably better money in it!

19. N5PAR

N5PAR Ham Member

I don't know about purpose and all that high brow electronical stuff, I got into amateur radio to meet chicks!

20. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member

It does work, but when they see all the radio stuff they expect to see a uniform, too. I tried substituting a lab coat for a uniform on one date (you know, technician as opposed to operator). She couldn't get out fast enough.

Looking back, the rubber gloves I was wearing may have sent the wrong message.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.