ad: chuckmartin

The bands aren't so bad

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by K1TGX, Oct 2, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. K1TGX

K1TGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not a 'mine's bigger than yours' thread but with the recent posts of how bad the bands are I thought I'd throw this out there.
    I just worked 5W0GC atno - he was calling cq on 17m
    Yesterday I worked ZD9CW on 17m (3rd band) atno
    Yesterday I worked 9X0T on 80m (2nd band) atno
    In the past 10 days I also managed to work TO6OK on 4 bands - atno

I'm running either 100w or 600w into a fan dipole. The signals for the most part aren't pegging the needle but they are there.

KM4SII and NM7G like this.
  2. AC6BW

AC6BW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You must not live in W6 land. Ah, I see that is correct....

3. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Yesterday I picked up 2 new ones on 80m... 5W0GC and 9X0T... up to 174 now on that band with a dipole that's too short. I see 160 is starting to show signs of life for the season..

4. K1TGX

and I've been trying to work VK9XT - not so easy from the left coast for me :)

5. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

20m was a slight surprise today, when I copied CW sigs from five continents around 2100Z. The majority were weak, but patience helped as usual. The ZD9 also heard here in OR, but didn't call. Too many callers seemed to really want him! OH0T was S9+ with strong auroral flutter, and two LZ stations were solid. Prop was somewhat erratic later on 15m. After hearing only 4-5 of the NCDXF 21.150 beacons, worked ZL, DU, and JA. Suke, JM7OLW, peaked S9 with his kW and super 35m high beam, but fades took him down to S2-S3. Shortly later, heard the 100W VR2B beacon peak S9. All in all, I had expected worse condx, but storms are about to hit.

I've used 30W-110W since 1984, usually with a 3 element beam at 60 feet, or an experimental wire antennas now and then.

6. KM4SII

KM4SII Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow! Great catches, especially TO6OK... only 7% of their QSOs were with North America. And ZD9CW too... he has been near impossible to work even though I am in a fairly ideal location to work him.

As for me:
    -I got 5W0GC on 17m CW too.
    -The 9X0T/9X0Y DXpedition on seven "slots."
    -TO6OK on 20m CW.
    -And a number of other "Garden variety" DX catches such as Algeria, Aland Islands, Cyprus, Cape Verde, Lichtenstein, and even a station portable in Asiatic Russia who was very strong tonight!

I agree, even though we are not talking "10m is open 24 hours to the whole world" type of conditions, things aren't dismal by any means :) You can do a lot with a modest 100w station, like what I have.

73 and good DX!

7. DK7OB

DK7OB Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked TO6OK on 10m FT8 with signals good enough for a CW contact and they did me the favor 1/2 hour later and moved to CW and I could work them. Usually here in Northern Germany on 10m I only hear the Mediterraneans working the DX but not the DX itself. This was with 100W and hex beam at 13m AGL.

8. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

In 60 years as a licensed amateur radio operator, the majority of that time spent DXing, much of it with a modest station and all of it from 6 or 7 land I have found that even at the lowest points of the sunspot cycle there is usually DX to be worked--at some hour, on some band and on some mode. I would think with digital modes like FT8 (which I do not use) the pickings would be even better since the radio/computer/software can pick out signals that otherwise can not be copied by the human ear. I will stick to CW or SSB myself but will generally find some DX to work.

W5BIB likes this.
  9. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

ditto

10. K1TGX

I'm in with this! I also do not work the digital modes but lately I have been giving some thought to rtty. Right now the other digital modes just don't do it for me. Most of my time is spent on cw now. I have to admit there were a few early mornings (2-3AM local) that I tried finding some dx on the bands. Would have been easier raising the dead :(

If it was that easy it wouldn't be much fun.