The Antenna SUE loves to HATE!!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA6MHZ, Oct 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nothing like a tower, except maybe two or more towers.:)

Since 1974 I've never been "without" a tower...or two...or three, and they really come in handy for supporting all kinds of stuff.

Trees work well for wire antennas, for sure. If they're big enough. Trees aren't great for rotary beams, although I've seen examples that are: One old friend up in coastal northern California topped a 100+ foot Redwood (which may have been hundreds of years old), eliminated the foliage and cut it off at about 90 feet, mounted a rotator to that, and a mast above the rotator, and had a TH7DXX 24' long tribander up there...it barely swayed in strong winds. Ninety-foot "almost free" tower.

And the tree lived on for many years just fine, and starting growing new foliage.

But not many can do that.

Towers, it's what's for dinner.:p

2. N1FM

N1FM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes.

With parallel feeders into a good transmatch, an 80m dipole will give you all bands, 80-10, and even 6, if the transmatch is switched out and an internal rig tuner employed.

3. VK6ZGO

VK6ZGO Ham Member QRZ Page

And poor old Mr Uda got screwed over!:D

WA7PRC, KA0HCP, W4IOA and 2 others like this.
  4. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member QRZ Page

I am looking at a graph in "Backyard Antennas" by Peter Dodd G3LDO that shows window line having a loss of 0.03dB for a length of 100 feet at 14 MHz, compared with RG-213 having a loss of 1.1 dB at that frequency and length. Yes, window line does have a loss, but a fraction of the loss of a halfway decent coax. Having said that, I think there is a misprint on the graph and the loss for window line should be 0.3 dB, still small.

NL7W likes this.
  5. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks! Yes I'm guessing it should happen this season. There is certainly enough active stuff on I should be able to work that I've just missed in terms of timing to make #100. Yep, I've really learned a lot with propagation and the good times of days/nights to try for specific areas I'm trying to work. There are often times where you have a small 20 minute window to give it a shot and that's when you get em' in the log. I have some planned improvements for 160 but I'm not doing anything til I hit 100 with this exact setup... kind of a personal challenge at this point.

K8BZ likes this.
  6. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

My "Sue" Song... "The Zed Ain't The Same Since You Been Gone.."

There ain't no body to tell Pat when he's wrong,
    Our life without you seems so long,
    Some folks here should be Wouf Honged..
    The Zed ain't the same since you been gone..

Chorus:
    I'll see you one day in the old corn field
    Where the tall corn grows and is peeled
    Come back to us one day 'cause it's been too long
    The ZED ain't the same since you been gone

That's why I wrote this little song,
    Instead of taking hits of my ol bong,
    and watching CB Hams go all Kong,
    The Zed ain't the same since you been gone.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    K2XT, KA9JLM, K8AI and 2 others like this.
  7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That super low loss for window line seems impossible. Even 0.3 dB seems optimistic to me, although under perfect conditions it might be true.

The certain conditions would mean keeping it dry and free of contaminants on the dielectric, and not making any bends in it, and keeping it at least a few inches away from other materials in all directions. If it gets coated with snow, loss increases and impedance changes (slightly, depending how wet the snow is), but coated with ice it really degrades a lot in my experience.

I now live where there's never any ice, so no problem. But when I lived in the Northeast (U.S.) we had "freezing rain" reasonably often each winter and that could make even an 80m doublet become nearly "deaf" until the ice melted.

Those effects are nearly eliminated by using real "open wire" ladder line which only has tiny bits of dielectric insulation along its length.

N2EY likes this.
  8. G8ADD

Even so, the benefits of using all window line as against the combination of window line and coax in the commercial G5RV remain, even if it may be inferior to true open wire. And even if window line was only as good as RG213 it would still be half the price, making it worth bearing with its deficiencies.

Incidentally, the freezing rain that you refer to is a real rarity here, I am 78 and in my lifetime I have seen it just twice! Even snow is not very common, a winter with no days of snow cover can happen here though there are parts of the country that are less fortunate.

KA0HCP and N2EY like this.
  9. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I've tested these lyrics out along with my banjo and it seem to go well to the tune of Turkey in the Straw.

10. G8ADD

They go really well with a nice slow mournful twelve bar blues!

K8BZ likes this.