The 50 WPM plateau. Morse dyslexia?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KE5FRF, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

For QSO's of random conversation I find it hard to keep track of the letters to make words at the higher speeds now......sad to say, also an age thing I think. I used to have no practical limit on the air.

2. K3STX

K3STX Ham Member QRZ Page

Heath, of course you know the answer to your own question. I wonder why nobody reminded you.

How do you get REALLY good at anything?

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. I think Fabian said it took him 8 years of almost daily practice to get to 200 wpm on RufZ.

paul

3. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

Receiving 50wpm is right at the top of my "comfort level". One of the things that make it easy, well easier for me, is that some, not all, use a keyboard to send at that speed and there is no shame in that.

4. KE5FRF

KE5FRF Ham Member QRZ Page

Of course, that is an absolute that can't be argued. I do think that there has to be a new "technique" that one must master though. I say this because at each other plateau there is a technique that is advised (techniques that, mind you, apply from the start even at 5 WPM)...For instance, when someone starts learning we try to encourage NOT counting the dits and dahs and to practice at speeds that are not so slow that your mind is forced into counting.

Then, when the 15-20 WPM plateau comes along, we say "put down the pencil" and learn to head copy. Also, a keyer or bug becomes needed for sending as well. At this stage, the op learns to head copy and forms a vocabulary of common words with instant recognition.

Most of us stop at this plateau. We may speed up, but the technique is much the same. Perhaps we increase our vocabulary, and we just practice and get a little faster over time. But then, there seems a limit here where a new technique or skill may be needed.

I can head copy EVERY LETTER OF THE ALPHABET, EVERY NUMBER, EVERY PROSIGN and PUNCTUATION at well over 50 WPM. Send me an "X" at 60 wpm and I will have no problems. Send XXX at that speed, and I will know three X's. But send "XLF" at that speed and I might copy KFL. That is where dyslexia shows up, and the "copying behind" becomes difficult.

I sat and prwcticed 50 WPM today. Random letters/numbers in random length groups. If XS3VJRT were sent, I would certainly get X, 3, and maybe JRT. But I might think H or 5 instead of "S", the "V" might be copied as U or 4 or maybe even I and A. My problem is short term memory. It seems like I can't store the brief flash of the letters in my mind for more than a second or two before I dump them. Also, when I hear something like "KA1EFG" for instance...by the time I copy EFG, I am doubting if the call was a "K" or "W" call. Of course I copied the K initially, but by the time the other letters roll through my head I am starting to do a dump in my mind.

So, I am trying to work on short term memory retention of random letters. I don't have this problem copying words in context.

Oh another thing that I find interesting, and would make a cool topic of conversation. DITS at fairly high QRQ speeds actually start to come across as a low frequency hum. You can actually tell a string of dits from a few dahs by the shift in FREQUENCY that seems to take place.

It is almost as if, at those higher speeds, you have to have a feel for dits as a PERIOD of a certain FREQUENCY that are measured in your mind by the length of their occurance. And of course, this has to be subconcious to be instantaneous.

Maybe another way of saying this, too, is that at speeds from QRS to about 40 WPM, CW has a musical quality about it. At 50 WPM IMHO this musical quality begins to fade. It is as if though you have to hear it differently in your mind.

Just some random thoughts and observations as I try to crack this plateau.

5. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

When I read that you had "become stuck" at fifty words a minute I thought it was a send up. Sending Morse code at that speed will certainly limit the number of contacts you make.! Is it all readable ?

G0GQK

6. AB2T

AB2T Ham Member QRZ Page

At 30 wpm+ I tend to lag behind the text, which is annoying. With a ragchew phrase like "i was working in the garden today it's so hot hi hi" I find myself clicking the polysyllabic words into place only after "hot". I tend to lose my concentration when I have little time to make context of what I've heard. More than once I have not fully understood the other station's tx until right after he stops transmission. Then I have a very quick mental picture of what he sent.

My mind is in sync at 20 to 25 wpm. Don't need much more for ragchew. Can't send any faster with paddles. But it's good to keep pushing forward on reception even if most non-DX and non-contest Q's rarely get above 30 wpm max.

73, Jordan

7. WB3BEL

WB3BEL Ham Member QRZ Page

A hint for RufzXP:

Break the callsign into prefix and suffix

Store the prefix in one memory location and the suffix in another in your mind.

This will allow you to start typing the result of the prefix once decoded and still allow storage of the suffix. For short calls this is not needed, but for those long ones especially those nasty ones with more than one "/" it helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.