The 30 meters non-contest

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W8MRL, Dec 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W8MRL

W8MRL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Have you heard about the "not a contest" on 30 meters? It spells out a defined CQ call; suggested modes and where to use them; logs to be submitted; summary of results compiled; certificate of participation issued - but it's not a contest? Maybe I'm missing something.
    --------------------
    The European Radio Amateurs' Organization, together with the 30 Meter Digital Group [​IMG], announce a new party on the air, this time with the motto: "be digital, explore 30m". Remember this is not a contest, it is just a radio meeting with a few simple 'rules', better to call them recommendations.
    Purpose: to promote this magnificent band, all digital modes, have fun and meet other hams all over the world. Of course also SWLing is welcome.
    Date & time: December 20th and 21st, 2014, Saturday and Sunday, 00:00-24:00 UTC.
    Bands & modes: these are the recommended modes/frequencies (+/-) for the 30m band: CW/10.100-10.130, SSTV-N/10.132 and 10.144, WSPR/10.1386, JT65/10.138-10.140, BPSK31/10.140-10.142, RTTY/10.142-10.145, ROS/10.144-10.145, FeldHELL/10.144, APRS/10.1491-10.1495 MHz. Tools: HamSpots, Band Chart.
    Call: "CQ EURAO Party".
    Exchange: because this is a QSO event, not a contest, you can talk about whatever you want, in any language, and for as long as you like. Here are some topic suggestions to get the conversation going: name, city, locator, weather, antennas, rigs, etc.
    Also talk about QSL interchange. Tell the truth. Say "no, thanks" if you are not interested in QSL cards. But if you would like to have a memory of your contact, feel free to use our EuroBureauQSL (see below).
    Logs: for statistic purposes only, we ask participants to submit their logs to party@eurao.org in ADIF format, where the filename should be your callsign (e.g. EA3RKF.ADI).
    There will be no results or league tables, only statistical information about number of QSOs, countries, callsigns, OMs/YLs/Clubs, etc.
    Certificate of Participation: for those sending the log and with a minimum of 10% QSOs confirmed.

2. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

You're not missing anything. It's a contest.

The contest community, for the most part, has not endorsed this nonsense. Of course, we'll get the blame anyways.

This is a bad idea and if you agree, tell the sponsors directly.

3. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

The question is why do this and irritate people? :(

4. W5WN

W5WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They obviously think there are not enough contests and especially none on 30 meters. BTW, I have nothing against contests. This just seems like really bad idea!

5. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Now THAT is the $64,000 question.

I don't know if we have a group of zealous 30 meter users who feel that there isn't enough activity on the band... and FWIW, I disagree completely with that notion, but that's beside the point... who want to drum up more. Or if we have a group that disagrees with the generally accepted (ie "good amateur" ) practice of voluntarily not scheduling or operating contests on the band.

But they obviously think it's just a nifty idea, and have tried to word their promotion of the event in such a way as to give lip service (and nothing more) to the notion of "no contests on 30 meters (and the rest of the WARC/WRC bands too)" while promoting exactly that.

Further, the pains they've clearly taken to word the proclamation of this bad idea, and the rules for it, to be able to technically (just) claim "it's not a contest!!" indicate to me that this is no accident, the promoters know exactly what this is and what they are doing.

FWIW, since the Usual Suspects haven't chimed in yet... though I'm sure they will... this was recently discussed on the CQ Contest forum, and the vast majority of responses from active contesters who replied was that this is a bad idea. So please don't get the notion that Contesters as a whole support this... most may not even be aware of it.

But don't vent about it here. Well, at least, not just here. Write or email the organizers and tell THEM why you think this is a bad idea. If they don't start hearing from people, they will think that their nifty idea is so good, they should do it every year. Just like a regularly scheduled contest.

6. WH2HAO

WH2HAO QRZ Moderator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not going to worry about it.

7. W9JEF

W9JEF Ham Member QRZ Page

Some of us gravitate to 30 meters, especially on weekends, as a refuge from the contests.

All but one the many W1AW/x contacts I've made were on 30 meter CW

--often busting thru some pretty big pileups, rivaling those of a rare DX entity.

Top Band CW is mostly dead--except for the contests, which I look forward to each year.

I don't submit a log; just get in for the fun of it; best DX was Christmas Island. :)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  8. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

For all you complainers, a simple question:

How is this activity different from, say, Straight Key Night?

Bill

9. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

1. SKN predates the WARC/WRC bands
    2. SKN is not specific to one band.
    3. SKN utilizes a single mode -- CW.
    4. SKN does not have a log submission requirement. (ARRL does ask for a list of stations worked, but not in any particular order, nor do they ask for any other log information.)
    5. SKN does not require a minimum number of log confirmations, from other submitted logs, to "earn" a certificate of participation.
    6. SKN is not a QSO Party.

And those just off the top of my head.

10. WN2C

WN2C Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess we will have to see how many of the 'main stream contesters' participate in this event. And can somebody please explain to me how the W1AW operations on 17 and 12 are not contests? After all they are handing out points!

Rick WN2C

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.