Thanks WPX RTTY contest for QRMing the bands!

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions and Special Events' started by KP3FT, Feb 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KP3FT

KP3FT Ham Member QRZ Page

Gee, maybe it's a common thread because it's a common problem. I didn't start the thread because I just felt like bashing HF RTTY contesting out of boredom. I've been attempting to track a friend's HAB balloon on 20m WSPR, but for two days RTTY has been parked right on top of WSPR. That's just one example of one weekend. Other weekends make the HF packet region unusable. Some of us can only get on the radio on weekends. There's been times when I seriously considered just selling my stuff, for the single reason of getting QRMed weekend after weekend. But hey, leave 'em alone because they're USING THE BANDS and it's FUN! I can have fun too... maybe start a wide-mode Olivia contest and walk all over agreed-upon subbands, because it's FUN and I'm just USING THE BANDS!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    WR2E and ND6M like this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You can either yell at rain clouds or work for change. Have you written a letter to ARRL asking for RTTY contest rules to be changed? Have you contacted the FCC to start petitioning for formal band allotments?

Just because YOU didn't get to do what YOU wanted to do does not in any way, shape, manner or form make a RTTY contest illegal or something that should be banned.

While I feel for you and your friend's balloon project - why did he not choose a WARC frequency? RTTY contesting is barred from WARC bands. And if he had no other band he could use (you didn't mention what band, but surely it was 80/40/20/15/10 since those are the contest bands), why didn't he give more consideration to the Contest Calendar links and release on a weekend when there is either no major contest or it's a SSB contest?

I'm sorry but lack of proper planning on his part does not mean the thousands of folks having fun doing a RTTY contest are in the wrong in any way.

Dave
    W7UUU

W5BIB, KB4QAA, KF5RHI and 5 others like this.
  3. W7DCM

W7DCM Ham Member QRZ Page

This past weekend I observed that the RTTY operators were respecting the SKCC frequencies, (at least on 20...I didn't check the other bands) where I didn't see that in the past.

Re RTTY, I hope to be on this mode soon. I'm still fighting issues between my laptop and my rice box re MMTTY. One of the ops I tried contacting during the XE RTTY contest was kind enough to tell me what the problem with the signal was.

Re SKCC, I enjoy the sprints. It was an SKCC op who QSLed my QSO with VY1.

4. KP3FT

KP3FT Ham Member QRZ Page

The ARRL encourages contesting, and I'm sure they're quite aware of the QRM problem.

This isn't just about me on one particular frequency and mode. Its about the general fact that the bands are QRM'ed intentionally by lids.

ND6M likes this.
  5. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

What's the latest (Insert Here)OTA?

6. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Why does everyone have to go grocery shopping the same day as me?!? And don't tell me to shop online!! o_O

7. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

In this circumstance, writing to the ARRL would have been a waste of time. The contest in question is sponsored my CQ Mag, not the ARRL. As much as I dislike the ARRL, they're blameless on this one.

Oh, and as a side note, this is my standard response to contest complainers and haters.

hate-flow.jpg

W7UUU likes this.
  8. W7DCM

W7DCM Ham Member QRZ Page

So what happens to the CQ contests if CQ Magazine goes under?

9. WE6C

WE6C Ham Member QRZ Page

Since this was an ARRL contest I looked up the ARRL band plans.
    Link here...

http://www.arrl.org/band-plan

It looks like with the exception of 7.040, RTTY and CW should not be anywhere near each other.

10. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

CQWW WPX isn't an ARRL contest. :rolleyes: