ad: w5yi

Ten-tec Century 21 restoration

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by HAMHOCK75, May 9, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. K5DH

K5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

This "zombie thread" is back from the dead!

Persistence pays off. I ended up buying two "basket case" Century 21s from the same guy at a fair price. I used one of them as a parts source. I was able to complete restoration of the original rig that I was working on (see above), plus I was able to restore the other basket case rig. Both of them came out looking very nice and they work well. Now I just need to find them good homes! Anyone interested in a freshly restored Century 21? Contact me via email.

If you need Century 21 parts, contact me via email. The donor rig has a lot of parts left such as pots, switches, crystals, and most of the circuit boards. The power transformer is definitely good, and the PS board appears to be good (that is to say, the output voltages read correctly with no real load on it). The front panel is badly worn, and it's probably not worth messing with. The following parts are NOT available: PTO, knobs, meter and bezel, Mixer board, PA unit, cabinet feet, speaker grille.

2. HAMHOCK75

HAMHOCK75 QRZ Member

If you have the aluminum shield around the transformer, WU7H, might have an interest in it. You can see it in this photo. Not all C21's have it.

[​IMG]

3. N4AEQ

N4AEQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a C21 that needs the regulator chip replaced, sense it's soldered in I am not going to attempt it at my age, iy can be externally powered by 12v and receives great. I would sell for $50 firm and local pickup only, address on qrz n4aeq.

4. K5DH

K5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

N4AEQ: Check your email. Message sent.

5. K5DH

K5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I have it and it's in nice condition. Still in place in my parts chassis. Email me at my address listed here on QRZ.com.

6. KS4NS

KS4NS Ham Member QRZ Page

I found a sensitivity mod was provided on the QRZ Century 21 restoration thread on page 6. Here it is:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_pjAwEfeYcdQlQ3OVpwbW9xVm8?usp=sharing

I plan to make this mod and I have a question for anyone who can help. The mod describes inserting a broad band amplifier between the receive BPF and the mixer at a yellow wire. I see a yellow wire running outboard of the mixer under the chassis to the front end board. Is this the correct wire to cut? It doesn't seem to me to be the right wire as it goes to the front end board and is not between the BPF and the mixer. Can someone help me out? Thanks, Dale KS4NS

7. KS4NS

KS4NS Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah, the front end board is the recieve mixer, so the yellow wire is the one to cut. I have cut the wire and am presently installing the KitsandParts rf preamp. Will give my comments when complete. Have to replace finals first.

8. WU7H

WU7H Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent - looking forward to hearing about your results!