Telegraph keys - replacement parts

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N5OLA, Oct 15, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N5OLA

N5OLA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi -- I have a couple of keys that need new springs. Any resources out there for spare parts?

N5OLA

2. N5OLA

N5OLA Ham Member QRZ Page

Not only springs ... this screw in back is stripped. Thanks everyone.

Attached Files:

3. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I HOPE THAT THIS WILL BE HELPFUL TO YOU.
    j-38 parts.jpg

N9HI Have a Nice Day.gif

4. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

5. W0KDT

W0KDT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Most good hardware stores have cardboard box/trays with assorted springs. I'd start there.

If you aren't afraid of a little fun but easy DIY, Brownells will sell you spring steel wire (like https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...its/no-15-straight-spring-wire-prod26220.aspx) that will allow you to wind and temper whatever spring makes you happy. You can then use their cold bluing compound to blacken it or, more fun, get a small electroless nickel plating kit to give it a matte nickel finish.

For screws, maybe mcmaster.com? https://www.mcmaster.com/brass-screws "thumb screws"

N5OLA likes this.
  6. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

TruValue and Ace Hardware have excellent parts sections.

McMaster-Carr
    Grainger

N5OLA likes this.
  7. WA3LKN

WA3LKN Ham Member QRZ Page

The conical springs that straight keys take are a unique item and I'm unaware of any off-the-shelf sources. At one time, Nye Co would sell individual parts like springs. I'm not sure if they still do or if they're still in business.

Harbor Freight sells spring assortments and you could almost certainly modify one that would work but might not look original.

And you'd get your freebie flashlight too.

Regarding a rear gap adjustment screw, the threading of those is 8-32 or 8-40 as I remember depending on who made it. Some brass knurled screws are off the shelf items but if it's a curved face knurl that's a custom item.

Good luck!

8. W4CDO

W4CDO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

N5OLA likes this.