ad: Schulman-1

Teaching Children Code

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by K7NNR, Dec 29, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K7NNR

K7NNR Ham Member QRZ Page

So, my 5 year old came back from the AZ Science Museum today and just loved the HAM exhibit, especially "making the beeping noises". So during dinner I asked if she has any interest in learning more, and there was an enthusiastic YES.

So my question to you all is where to start? I do not know code myself and figure that this would be a great time to learn it together.

X-posted on General Technical Questions and Answers board.

MI0YLT likes this.
  2. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

3. ZL3IO

ZL3IO Ham Member QRZ Page

The moment she can write she can use www.lcwo.net
    This is where my girls learnt morse code doing about 10 minutes a day. One of them (ZL4YL) is 15 yrs now and operating 99% CW. She started learning with 9/10.
    73 Holger

MI0YLT and KJ4VTH like this.
  4. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

What a fantastic father/daughter project! Make it like a game where you take turns identifying the sounds. Here's a great code practice site: www.aa9pw.com

Set the character speed to 15wpm (really) but set the character spacing to 5wpm so there's time to think. Use the Koch method where new letters get gradually added to build the alphabet. It's likely she'll pick it up faster than dad (a real thrill for kids). Then with a key, battery, and piezo buzzer you can send each other "secret" messages.

You'll both have a blast!

MI0YLT likes this.