ad: CQMM-1

Talking Repeaters Good or bad?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Apr 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

k5dvw writes "I've recently gotten back on the air after a few years of radio silence. My main modes are UHF/VHF and higher and I am getting into HF for the first time since getting my license 15 years ago.

I do have to say that mostly I work the simplex modes. I don't really frequent repeaters other than to do storm spotting or special events, but I've noticed now the popularity of talking repeater controllers. Some of them have a lot to say. You know the one's that speak in that metallic, synthesized, monotone voice whenever the repeater is keyed saying something like "Welcome to the XYZ repeater located at 1000ft, please use 100 Hz CTCSS for access, it's Sunday 11:00 am, batteries charged". Personally, I don't care much for them (insert old timer saying "back in my day, we didnt have these talking repeaters" even tho I am only 33). Instead I prefer the simple CW ID, but I was wondering what the general HAM community thought about them and what's behind the talking repeater craze?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.