Tablet for Rs-MS1a ?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by K8SWR, Apr 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. K8SWR

K8SWR Ham Member QRZ Page

I would like to run the Icom RS-MS1a software on my ID-51a plus 2 with a tablet, I'm currently using a galaxy s5 phone but would like to use a tablet . I currently have a Samasung Galaxy Tab 2 but it doesn't have USB capabilities. Does anyone run this software with a tablet?

If so could you tell me what Tablets will work

2. DH1KLM

DH1KLM Ham Member QRZ Page

What do you exactly mean "but it doesn't have USB capabilities" ?

3. K8SWR

K8SWR Ham Member QRZ Page

Most tablets do not have USB hosting, they may have a USB port but they will not run software or other types of programs. They are only for file transfer, keyboards etc.

4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The Android tablets that don't have USB hosting are generally very old ones now. Don't know of any even relatively recent ones that won't work. I'm using an ASUS tablet that I got for free when I got my new iPhone several years ago, when I got my iPhone 6. Works very well with the Icom software. Any of the Android tablets in the 75 - 99 buck range from BestBuy should be fine. You can probably go cheaper than that as the software doesn't require much processing power--the maps are the only thing that even comes close to that. ;)

The connection is a mini-USB, not full sized (you'll need Icom's adapter cables). I'm surprised your Galaxy doesn't have one. I'd double check on that first.

Anyhow, it's nice to be able to use the big screen of the tablet with my little ID51a. :)

5. DH1KLM

DH1KLM Ham Member QRZ Page

It makes me wonder that a Tab 2 has no USB Host mode. Habe you tried a so called USB Host test APP?
    If a keyboard already works, you should be ready to go.