Swains NH8S

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by WA6MHZ, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-innov
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
  1. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

After being PUMMELED by the East Coast on the 7O, CY9 and 6O, plus a few more juicy DXpedtions, it is finally time for a West Coast Treat! Swains Island NH8S will start Sept 5th and run until Sept 19th. That should be ample time for 6s and 7s to nail them on all bands and modes; and a few East Coasters and Midwesterners to get into the log too!

They are going to run around the clock with multiple stations and most likely, beams and Kilowatts. So there will be PLENTY of KH8S on the bands for the next 2 weeks!

Hope everyone works them that needs them. Mostly Stateside ops so no favoring EU like past DXpeditions did.
  2. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

I only need them on 10 and 12, we'll see how it goes.
  3. KB9UWU

KB9UWU Ham Member QRZ Page

What? Per the website you linked to, on the *front page, 2nd paragraph*

"Great emphasis will be in working European stations."

EU is an extremely difficult path, per the great circle map on their propagation page http://www.nh8s.org/pages/propagation.html

Also, it says they are using vertical antenna arrays.
  4. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Five years ago, N8S, made more than 117,000 contacts worldwide, the majority of which were in the U.S. It would only be fair to expect them to focus on Europe et al this time. As it's not among the top 30 needed, they will probably be calling CQ toward the end.
  5. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

Has it been 5 years already? Got that one on 40m and 75m back then.
  6. KB3LIX

KB3LIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Only got Swains on 20m phone last time
    so I WILL be in the pileups.
  7. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have them on a Tuesday and while wearing a blue shirt. Really hope to bag them on a Wednesday while wearing suspenders.
  8. KB3LIX

KB3LIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Funny.........NOT !
  9. N7SMI

N7SMI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Some of the Swains team were on the air last night from American Samoa. If their signals on Swains are anything like they were last night they're going to have an awesome DXpedition.
  10. N3QVB

N3QVB Ham Member QRZ Page

Jared, N7SMI, you stole my reply. I worked Joe, KH8/W8GEX last night on 12 meters no less. He said they were part of the Swains advance team just killing some time on KH8. He was booming into the Nashville TN area for almost 2 hours. I'm optimistic.

11. NY7N

NY7N Ham Member QRZ Page

Indeed - KH8/W8GEX is just bombing into Phoenix on 10m right now, and I'm just using a ground mounted 4BTV.

If they're that loud from Swains, I'll be a happy camper.
  12. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

It's an ATNO for me, so I'm hoping to work them. Hearing them can be hit or miss in that part of the world for me so I'm hoping for the best.
  13. KF6ABU

KF6ABU Ham Member QRZ Page

10/12/15/17/20/30/40/80. no problem.
  14. EI2GLB

EI2GLB Guest

What recent expeditions favoured EU ??? None that I have heard, most will take calls from anywhere when working EU but as soon as the go NA or JA only the will shut out EU,

Last one I heard working EU only was VP6T as they understood how tricky prop from the pacific to EU is,

I worked one of the guys in KH8 but his signal was weak it's allmost a direct polar path for me so 1 or 2 Q's is as much as I can hope for,
    Im sure the 6's and 7's will be working them on 10fm and 160SSTV by the 2nd day :)
  15. WC5P

WC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

Having operated from both T32 and KH8, I can tell you that the propagation path to Europe is much easier than from KH8 than it is from T32 or even KH6. The main reason is the polar path. Europe is due north from KH8. From T32, the path to Europe is northeast, which means that you have to break through the California killowatt curtain in order to work Europe. From KH8, it is not that difficult to work Europe, especially in the middle of the night when California is asleep. Give it a try on 40. You might be surprised.
  16. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good luck on the KH8S! Hope U get into the log quickly. The DXpeditions I was referring to were the 7O6T, VU7M and 6O0CW. I only heard the 6O very lightly on CW and never came close to even calling them. Not a prayer on the VU7.
  17. F5UKW

F5UKW Ham Member QRZ Page

Can't wait this one to be on the air! :) I announced to my XYL I won't be any more available for the next few days until I can get at least 3 QSOs with NH8S :)

All my tools are configured WebCluster filtering for NH8S and for sure, they will be in the top list of the most popular spots in the next 24 hours ! Good luck to all the team and it's a shame DJ2VO was injured :( May the propagation be with us !
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  18. F5UKW

F5UKW Ham Member QRZ Page

ready to go ?
  19. AB8MA

AB8MA Ham Member QRZ Page

1 Hr 38 Min and counting. :)
  20. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll give it a shot on Sep 17 or 18. Maybe sooner if the pileups disappear. Could be fun.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.