ad: TinyPaddle-1

Sussex NJ, SCARC HAMFEST Sunday, July 16, 2017 :)

Discussion in 'Hamfest Reports & Videos' started by K2HAT, Jul 19, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Sussex NJ, SCARC HAMFEST Sunday, July 16, 2017 :)

I had a great time, good food, hard working volunteers and lots of stuff for sale!!!

I asked what the attendance was at Sussex, the reply from John N2HMM;

Sussex Hamfest had 1140 buyers and 244 tailgaters. [​IMG]

I was at the Sussex County Fairgrounds Sunday, July 16, 2017

The Rear mens room had been renovated in the last year and it was Clean!!
    I saw a couple of people driving around checking the trash cans, and waved at them and they stopped. I asked, do you work for the Fairgrounds, and they replied Yes.

I told them they were doing a very nice job and an extra big thanks for the hard work at the mens room. The Gentleman said that there had been a lot of work done to that rest room, replaced all the urinals and a lot of other plumbing work etc.

upload_2017-7-18_21-1-11.png

73, K2HAT

2. W3TPL

W3TPL Ham Member QRZ Page

Glad to hear... wish I could have made it this year but it sounds like the event went great.

Hope to catch it next year!

K2HAT likes this.
  3. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

I copied this from the Hamfest announcement forum, and brought it here to the Hamfest Reports.

The first Hamfest I went to I arrived at about 10:30am, there were many people packing up to leave.
    I asked one person, what is wrong, why are theses folks all leaving so early??

I was told that for the folks selling most Hamfest gates open from 6-7 Am and if the sales are not going well, many sellers say the heck with it and pack up to go home starting at 9:30am.

To be honest, If you can't get to a Hamfest except maybe Dayton or Orlando, by 3 hours after the start time, you may as well not go. ;)

For Sussex, I arrived at 6:05am and started to pack up to leave a little after 12 noon.
    At Murgas I was there at 5:30am and left at 11:20am.

It is a 2.5 + or minus hour drive each way. I stopped to eat lunch on the way home,
    about 10 minutes from the Hamfest, it was close to 3 hours to get home, because the traffic was heavy.

I would bet that 30-40% of the sellers had already packed up and left before I did.
    At the Murgas {Wilkes Barre, PA} and Rags {Syracuse/Cicero,NY} , and Cortland,NY Hamfests
    I was gone by about 11:30am.

The 9:30am 50/50 drawing Winner was over $480. I did not win. Darn :(

I did not buy a ticket for the 12:30 50/50 drawing and did not pay attention to the winners amount, as I was about to drive out, I would be surprised if it was $100. As most of the vendors don't bother buying the late 50/50 drawing.

Elmira Horseheads Hamfest Sept. 30th is a Large hamfest too, and worth the drive
    3 hours or so each way for me, also at a Fairgrounds, I arrive at 6am and usually leave about 11am to 12 noon, as sales seem to stagnate after 10am. If i don't make a sale in 30 minutes of even cheap stuff, time to go home.

You can use this link, to find hamfest in a search engine, by zip code, a distance from you.
    I search by 250 miles circle, but normally don't go more than 150 miles away.

http://www.arrl.org/hamfests-and-conventions-calendar

Best 73 K2HAT :)