Summer 146.520 Challenge!!

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by W8CEN, May 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KD9MSP

KD9MSP Ham Member QRZ Page

New to ham and this summer we will be taking a Route 66 tour starting in Northern Wisconsin and ending up by the Grand Canyon with our RV. I plan on monitoring and shouting out on .52 along the trip. Also setting up a quick portable station at the campsites using the same rig.....Yaesu FTM400XRD. I also would like to get into some Yaesu digital C4FM since I can't hit any of the Fusion repeaters where we live.

2. KV4JW

KV4JW Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm in Kentucky, Winchester/Richmond/Irvine area. I monitor 520 most anytime I'm in the car or shack. M-F I'm monitoring between 7 and 8 AM and 4:30-5 PM EST during my commute.

3. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

9 dBd? Not for 2 meters ... that would the length of two DB224 antennas (each one is comprised of 4 folded bays) stacked.

4. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

ok, ok, another antenna project. a hole in the center coming up...
    ill dedicate a 5 watt ht inn jeep soon, dual band 50 watts at home...now

5. WX0MIK

WX0MIK Ham Member QRZ Page

I listened last weekend all the way up to Canada from the Minneapolis metro area and nothing, zip, zero.

6. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Did you program a PL tone? If you did, that would explain your dismal results.

146.52 is the National Calling frequency - but if you programmed a PL tone, you've locked yourself out.

I use 146.52 mobile all the time - NEVER have a problem finding folks to talk with. But if I programmed a PL tone, it's all over...

I almost never have trouble finding a contact on 146.520 anywhere I go

Dave
    W7UUU

7. WX0MIK

WX0MIK Ham Member QRZ Page

I have it programmed for simplex. I did not call out. I know I can get better results that way. I was just listening to see if others were talking on that frequency.

8. KI7SYG

KI7SYG Ham Member QRZ Page

I put my call and 146.520 in large letters on the rear of my trailer last August. Yesterday, I passed a pickup and travel trailer in south Dakota and noticed it had a screwdriver on it. W6TSP called me and we had a nice rag chew for an hour or so.
    I drive between Seattle and Chicago twice a month and this is the first time I've had a qso because of my lettering.

9. AA3EE

AA3EE Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was at a local club field day when I first got licensed, I worked Texas from Pittsburgh on SSB. Couldn't figure out why everyone was so excited so I just held the mic over my head and got out of there!
    I've heard repeaters in Indiana from my home in SW PA with just a vertical.
    I hear a few conversations a week on .52.
    DX on 2M happens, you just have to be there when it does!

Dave AA3EE

N7UJU likes this.
  10. KI7SYG

KI7SYG Ham Member QRZ Page

I heard traffic on a repeater in Marin county California from my home near Spokane Washington one day. It took me a while to figure out where it was located. I was using a homebrew vertical dipole and wasn't able to hit the repeater after finding the tone on repeater book, but I tried.