Summer 146.520 Challenge!!

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by W8CEN, May 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

In SC, I have had great luck calling CQ on 520, usually while driving, and always giving information about location and direction of travel. While the state has a small population, it is much more evenly spread than somewhere like Texas. You won't drive for miles and miles and never see a house or business.

2. KJ7EHK

KJ7EHK Ham Member QRZ Page

I’m a new ham as well as a new “rainbird” - escaping western Oregon for SW Arizona for my second winter. While wintering at Imperial Dam LTVA, i saw a sign that just said “146.52” and dialed it up on my HT (didn’t have my ticket yet, only listening) and it sounded like great fun. Synchronously, saw a poster for ‘Yuma hamfest’ - never been to such a thing, saw that there would be testing for license. I did some studying, passed the Technician test, etc. The agonizing wait to appear in the FCC database, who am I going to be? K*****? Unfortunately it was time to leave the area before i got my call, so i will have to wait until next year to talk to those folks. Made my first contact (KK7CZ) thru a repeater in Quartzsite with my UV-5R with an external Tram antenna on the roof. Going to take these great suggestions about interesting QSO invitations, and also put the callsign on the back of the RV. Starting the long drive back to the Oregon coast this weekend, meandering through the desolation of central Nevada and boondocking along the way.

KC3MTB and N1VAU like this.
  3. KN4GEX

KN4GEX Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations on getting your ticket! It really gets fun when you get into DX on HF! (or at least it did for me.)

KJ7EHK likes this.
  4. N1ART

N1ART Ham Member QRZ Page

If 146.520 is dead, you should raise your antenna up 20 more feet or get an X700.
    I had a QSO with guys in 2 towns over on a walkie talkie with a rubber duckie.
    For goofs I like to call to any station.
    Bored? Monitor 146.520.
    Want to be a dedicated ham? monitor 146.520 and 446.000 and an HF frequency even if you are not planning on talking before you hear one of us, we Are out there!

KE8FWJ and W4EAE like this.
  5. KF4DRR

KF4DRR Ham Member QRZ Page

I constantly scan 146.520, 223.500, 446.000

6. WB8NXR

WB8NXR Ham Member QRZ Page

What's an X700? No searches turned up anything relevant. Our first Class A is arriving in a month so I've been trying to figure out which radio and antennas to buy at Hamvention next week. No, my wife does not know... :)

Ray

7. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I found many many links in about 30 seconds... are you using Google?

Dave
    W7UUU

8. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Using Google to search on X700 I found plenty on Samsung blu-ray players, John Deere lawn tractors, and Minolta cameras. I doubt any of those are relevant.

9. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Search "Radio"

10. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe he meant Diamond X700 antenna. Supposed 9 dB gain. ($390!)