ad: NI4L-2

Suggestions for a dual band 2m/70cm antenna for mobile use

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KC0BUS, Jul 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
  1. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been running the Larsen dual band and works well.
    The build quality is very good.
    The staff flex is very high meaning not real stiff and moves around a lot with vehicle and moving wind loads.
    One should really adjust this antenna with an Analyzer for the 70cm band because the 70cm band is at the bottom of the sharp match curve that the band is centered on or you could miss it and have high SWR on 70cm.
    If the SWR were looked at with a visual recorded SWR display plot, you could see this.
    Good luck.

2. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Diamond SG7900a, but repeaters out here on the prairie may be 60 miles away and the gain is needed! NOT a short antenna!

3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had good luck with a (long discontinued) Kenwood MA-700, which came WITH a 2M/70 cm diplexer. (Works out well, since my Standard C-5608A has separate 2M/70cm outputs.) The diplexer is good for over 100 Watts, and I use it (them) in other places, as well as my mobile. I don't know how the Kenwood antenna compares to other dual band antennas, but in the mobile, if I can hear them (repeaters) I can work them.

4. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

Larsen 270 or its PC Tel (formerly MaxRad) equivalent are all I use. Beware of using either on a magnet mount! I used to do that until I put my RigExpert on it and found how badly it performed. I installed a proper NMO mount with much better results.

5. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

A basic QW 2M whip (about 19-20 inches tall) will also work on 440 Mhz with low SWR

6. KE4VNC

KE4VNC Ham Member QRZ Page

I currently have an Austin 500C and have really been impressed by it. The larsen 270 is also popular around here.