Suggestion for 10m mobile antenna

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KX0Z, Apr 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KX0Z

KX0Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Mobile setup is FT8900R and Diamond CR627B tri-band 6m/2m/70cm antenna. Everything works well on all bands. The only band I don't have available is 10m. I know there are a few quad band antennas but I'm not interested in any of them. Way back in my "cough cough" CB days I used a K40 antenna with good success. I would say working Alaska mobile on 4 watts is probably successful. I'm not real thrilled about using either lip mount or mag mount with a K40 now on my new car. I know the antenna works fairly well, but I fear both mounts will damage the paint.

Sooo any suggestions on an antenna? I'm not drilling holes in my car so that is simply not an option. The Diamond/Comet trunk lip mounts seem sturdy and I have used them in the past with success.
  2. KA9VQF

KA9VQF Ham Member QRZ Page

I can understand your disdain for mounting an antenna on your ride.

I have used a number of different mobile antenna on the various cars I have owned.

I've used mag mounts lip mounts but the best is a hole in the car and an NMO mount.

I have drilled and mounted antenna on almost every car I have ever owned. Of course I almost always drive my cars until they are ready to go to the bone yard.

I have sold a few vehicles privately and I have traded a few in on new vehicles. I've never had a problem because there was an antenna hole in the car where I had mounted the antenna. On the ones I traded to a dealer I just put a chrome hole plug in to cover it. You can buy them in the plumbing department at hardware stores, the plug and a dab of silicon seals the hole nicely.

None of the dealers have ever asked why it had the plug in it. One of the cars I sold privately I hadn't gotten around to removing the NMO mount, the folks did ask what the NMO mount was for and I told them it was for a cell phone antenna. I think that was what sold that car for me.
  3. KX0Z

KX0Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah my friends and I have had that conversation ad naseum, it's just not gonna happen. I am looking for another alternative, but appreciate the reply..
  4. G4SKO

G4SKO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use ladder racks/bars for antenna mounts with great success.

G4SKO 73
  5. KX0Z

KX0Z Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm sorry, I should clarify this is for a 2010 Toyota Avalon. No ladder racks, luggage racks etc etc..
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've done a lot of mobile installs and can't think of any way to mount a 10m antenna on the car that doesn't risk paint/metalwork/finish other than the standard NMO through-hole mount which doesn't damage anything. Everything else I've ever tried does some sort of damage with a decent 10m whip.

A very short loaded whip on a trunk lip mount might be almost "non-harmful" because the antenna is so small, but of course those don't work very well.

Another thought might be a welded tube mount, with the work done underneath the car so it cannot be seen. This is very common when installing screwdriver antennas and such. It's certainly "work," but none of it can be seen so nobody knows you did it except you...
  7. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

A trunk-lid NMO mount should work fine. No harm to paint, trunk lid, etc.
    I used the Antenex/Laird NMO mount on my last car. Chrome or Black, you choose!

Shop around for best price. AES stocks Antenex/Laird products.

Antennas that use NMO mounts
    The Antenex/Laird C27 model, or C27S with spring, will work for 10 meters !

The Antenex model C27S has a 49 inch whip
    with spring and loading coil adding a few inches to overall antenna height.

IF you desire symmetry, you can install 2 mounts (left & right)

BTW, it is COMMON to see State Police patrol cars (Illinois) with 3 to 4 antennas on trunk.
    2 or 3 will be thru-hole NMO, but I have seen 2 trunk-lid NMO and 2 thru-hole NMO on those patrol cars with 4 antennas. IL State Police patrol cars were still using 42 MHz antennas
    in some districts (like #14 in western, rural sections).
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  8. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

The Larsen "L" bracket with an NMO mount works very well and only requires 3 small holes drilled where they basically do not show. When the bracket is removed the holes can be filled with silicon rubber, etc., and, unless you know where to look, the holes are not evident.

I use a Larsen NM0-27K for 10-meters in my vehicle with an "L" bracket. The antenna can be "cut" for frequencies between 27 MHz and 30 MHz.

larsen l mount-1.jpg

The particular "L" bracket is at least 40-years old and has been installed in several vehicles over the years.

Glen, K9STH
  9. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Consider the length of the antenna chosen - longer wins nearly all the time. But, you also have to consider getting in and out of garages. Hustler makes a 'short mast' kit that consists of a very short mast, and a set of longer whips to use with their resonators. If you're using a trunk lip mount, this should be a good compromise and should go in and out of garages without much trouble. The center loaded Hustler should outperform any base-loaded whip.
  10. K8CPA

K8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

You mean there's actual intelligent life above 7 KHZ?!? :-o ;-)
  11. WB2WIK

7 kHz? Sure, I can whistle about that high.
  12. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Too bad you can't mount an 8' whip on the trunk lip or even on side of the trunk.
    . I put one on the back side panel of my station wagon in the 1970's and it beat the snot out of a roof mounted 3 ft base loaded whip on a mag mount dead center of the roof.
    Great for local ragchewing and whatever DX popped up on 10M !
    The full quarterwave mobile ant was almost as good as the GP on my chimney mount on the house.
    Anything less is a road to dissapointment !
  13. K9STH

In high school, I had a 96-inch whip bumper mounted for 29.600 MHz AM (which used to be the old AM mobile calling frequency before FM) and, with about 2-watts output, worked all over the country.

With the Larsen NMO-27 and the "L" mount, I get out very well on 10-meter SSB with 25-watts peak output. I have well over 100 countries worked with that arrangement.

Glen, K9STH
  14. N3JCV

N3JCV Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

HF mobile operation is an addiction. If you are not willing to drill holes in your car, you should stick to 2 meter repeater or echo link operation. Sorry for the blast but you are whining about drilling in to your car. Real ham radio die hards will drill where required.
  15. KX0Z

KX0Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh shucky darn, I guess I am just not as much of a die hard mobile ham radio operator as you are, what ever will I do..
  16. K0CSI

K0CSI Ham Member QRZ Page

I feel that I would be inclined to agree w/ KX0Z, having just purchased my newest and most expensive vehicle, I can't really see cutting such a permanent hole into the roof into my $25k+ vehicle. I have no problem trying to do as many other things to enhance signal/etc; I just can't really get myself to drill holes, especially when there are alternatives.
  17. VK6ZGO

VK6ZGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Well if the thing is just for 10m,surely you'll have to live with a compromise,& use a trunk lip mount,& a 11m whip trimmed for 10m.

In VK,I would use a helical whip,as they are most common 11m antenna.
    They are extremely light,& also don't have much of a problem with air resistance.
    It seems that they are not popular in the USA,with all the 3rd Generation "rubber-duckies"using big, chunky, base or centre loaded whips,but I think I have seen some available on US websites.
    If the helicals aren't available,use the least unwieldy antenna of other varieties.

OK,a trunk lip mounted whip is not the most efficient mobile antenna,but it will work.:D

18. K9STH

Years ago, I had a two-way radio client, an oil field maintenance company, that would bring brand new, high dollar vehicles to my company to have radios installed. He had absolutely no qualms about punching holes for antennas, etc. However, his personal vehicle was an old VW "hatchback" with more dented areas, rust, and so forth, that sometimes I wondered just how the vehicle remained intact, that he absolutely forbid punching any holes in the vehicle for antennas! It was hard to even get a magnetic mount to "stick" in some areas of the roof because of the rust, bad paint, etc.

I never understood his logic!

Glen, K9STH
  19. WB2WIK

Maybe he was worried that if you punched one hole, the whole body would disintegrate.:p
  20. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The old Bumper mount cut down 11 meter whips were hard to beat for a cheap 10 meter antenna, That worked as good an any. You could position the automobile for the direction that you wanted to talk.

When the band is open you don't really need much.

But then again a lot of people try to open the band...

I thought hatch backs were made for girlfriends. And VW had them in the front, with the spare tire.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.