Successfully Redeeming IRCs

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K6XX, Dec 19, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

K2HAT likes this.
  2. K5VOU

K5VOU Ham Member QRZ Page

I am waiting for the USPS to start taking Bitcoin before I go back into one of their locations.

3. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Contact Charles Ponzi. He may have a few left, if he is still alive.

K6XX and NA6O like this.
  4. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

5. VU2DSI

VU2DSI Ham Member QRZ Page

All Dear friends. I am getting IRC's exchanged for the stamps forover 3o years at my qth Ahmednagar in India. In many cities in India the post offices are not doing this. I am collecting the IRC's from HAM friends in last month of expiry date & get them exchanged for the stamps. Remember in Idia we get postage stamps in exchange for IRC's.
    VU2DSI
    DATTA

6. KE8DZA

KE8DZA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have always found it handy to quote, and show if necessary, the Postal Manual when having a "disagreement" with the Post Office. You probably will still have to ask for a supervisor or, if in a rural setting, the Post Master. Small towns are wonderful most of the time as you may know the Post Master or they, you, and they may actually work the counter.

Google 'Postal manual' to get listing of all things Postal or do a search on USPS.com (no that is NOT a typo...they use ".com" not '.gov'. Don't ask me why.).

Here is the resulting URL for IRC's frpm USPS.com;

https://pe.usps.com/imm_archive/html/imm_archive_20070514/imm/immc3.6.25.htm

N6HCM likes this.
  7. W5DLP

W5DLP Ham Member QRZ Page

The IRC, International Reply Coupon, was designed for aiding in QSL reply from third world countries with individual incomes make it hard to purchase international postage. Many Postal Clerks today do not have any idea of how to sell or exchange. Some offices will not have any on hand simply because of the lack of requests. I suggest asking supervisors or Postmasters to order a minimum quantity for your souvenir purchase.

I worked for nearly 40 years on the front line of the USPS and handled many transactions selling and exchanging IRC's. I spent many years in the hip pocket of experienced clerks watching, asking and learning. I noticed in my final several years 'new hires' did not wish to learn from an old pro. I and was even told to just keep my thoughts to myself. I didn't need to be told twice. It was an honor to serve each customer to the best of my ability as I just tried to set an example for the next generation.

N0TZU and K7JEM like this.
  8. AE2DX

AE2DX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I quit years ago with IRCs, green stamps work for me.

Fred AE2DX

9. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

W4RAV and K2HAT like this.
  10. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, I'm glad you mentioned him. For those who don't know: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Ponzi#Origin_of_the_term_"Ponzi_scheme"_and_IRC_scheme

Pyramid schemes come and go, and while IRCs are disappearing, something similar should be possible. Say, in the U.S. postage rates are going up in January. Now if we just get the cash to buy a few million dollars worth of forever stamps and hold them.....