Subscription fees

Discussion in 'Logbook User Forum' started by N2EIK, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W8ZZU

W8ZZU Ham Member QRZ Page

Nobody is forcing anyone to use the logbook feature that is currently in the works. It's not about money. If you don't want to use it, then opt out. If you want to help it grow and test it out then post something constructive. Use HRD if you like it then. Nobody has a gun to your head.... You haven't even given it a chance to determine if it will become popular or not. It has been out for a few weeks. It seems to me that most of these "complaints" here are from people that either 1 - want something for free or 2 - are jumping the gun and not giving something the chance to "get up to speed" I am sure version 1.0 of Ham Radio Deluxe really sucked compared to today's version?

2. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Great point W8ZZU,

Ever notice how when someone develops an opinion that they assume it must be a majority viewpoint?

About 10,000 members have used the QRZ logbook so far. In my career, it's one of the best "failures" I've ever experienced.

More features are coming, and I predict that we'll hit 2,000,000 QSO's logged by the end of the month.

And N8CX,

What exactly is it about software that makes people think that it should be FREE? Do you expect a company like Icom or Yaesu to hand you a radio and then leave it up to you to send them a donation, if you feel it's worth it?

How much did you spend on your last radio anyway? One poster recently lamented about "High Dollar QRZ Subscriptions". Let's put a one year subscription to QRZ into perspective by looking at a few things that can't be purchased for $30

• a tank of gas
    • a carton of cigarettes
    • a month of cable TV
    • 10 Big Mac's
    • A subscription to ARRL
    • One night in a Motel 6 or a KOA Kampground
    • 99% of all items listed on the QRZ Swap Meet
    I've been working on QRZ for 16 years, and with any luck and some help from our friends, advertisers, and loyal subscribers, another 16.

Finally, I want to thank all QRZ users, regardless of whether you've ever subscribed or bought anything from one of our sponsors. It is the simple loyalty of making QRZ your home page that has helped us become amateur radio's number 1 website.

3. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, that's the point I was trying to make--you just said it a lot better than I did.

By my being limited to 10 contacts visible, something is being taken away from the paying customers.

Let's assume that Joe Ham likes paper QSL's, so he pays 28 cents to send me one. Perhaps I have no interest in QSL's, but for his 28 cents, I get to see his card. I'm a nice guy, so even though I'm not interested in QSL'ing, I send one back to him.

Now, let's assume that the Post Office decides that I should start paying for delivery. They'll deliver 10 postcards for free, but if I want to receive more than 10, I need to start paying. For whatever reason, I decide that I'm not going to pay to get my 11th card.

Then Joe Ham sends me a card. What's he getting for his 28 cents?

4. W8ZZU

W8ZZU Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Fred. There will always be skeptics and people who expect everything for free. I suppose most of the people that want all these services for free don't understand how much it costs to have reliable servers and keep them running. They also don't understand the time and work it takes to write the code for all these features. Keep up the good work.

5. W1DQ

W1DQ Logbook Administrator Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Am I missing something? Yes I have a callsign, it belongs to the FCC and it is temporarily assigned to me. Its details are public knowledge and yes QRZ relies on that.

At no cost to me, it is listed on the number one callsign look-up web site in the world. In addition, I am provided with my own call sign web page that is customizable by me. I am also provided with access to such things as fellow ham addresses including e-mail, aerial views of their QTH, a lot of operating information and forums where I can seek out answers to my questions. All in one place and still at no cost.

Yes there is advertising but less that on my own server’s web mail site that I pay to use and access. Who is taking me for a ride?

The QRZ Logbook can’t take advantage of my callsign unless I choose to participate. If the QRZ Logbook has decided to charge a fee for full access that is just a matter of its features versus supply and demand. There are many other logbook choices, many of which are free.

6. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Today, I had twelve pending entries in my log, and when I confirmed the first ten, it did indeed display the other two.

So that does satisfy the concern I had in an earlier post.

If you corrected this issue in response to my concerns, you did make the product much more useful.

If that problem never existed in the first place, I wish someone would have corrected me! :D

7. K2DSL

K2DSL Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The hard part for those of us that are paid subscribers is knowing what you see and get. You need other non-paid subs to tell you what they have done or can't do.

8. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, if you have any questions, please let me know. But I doubt if I'll post it here, because that's interpreted as "expecting everything for free".

I still don't know whether a change was made based upon my concerns. If not, it sure would have left a better taste in my mouth if someone had simply told me that it already worked as I suggested.

9. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And to think I completely forgot about that thread!

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.