ad: elecraft

Subscription fees

Discussion in 'Logbook User Forum' started by N2EIK, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WB4IUY

WB4IUY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Can you not see more by clicking the "view all" button in the lower left, or selecting to view more lines in the lower left of the logbook? I can't test this, as I'm a subscriber already (and have been for a couple of years or so).

This is something very new, and Fred/others are working on it constantly. I'm sure things will change as it develops.

Dave WB4IUY
    www.WB4IUY.net

2. K2DSL

K2DSL Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My LoTW rate is high but I'm a newer ham, starting on HF in 2007. I have 18285 contacts loaded into LoTW and 9630 QSLs for an overall confirmation rate of 52.6%. Like you noted, my digital (mostly RTTY from contests) confirmation rate is high. My eQSL rate is around 27%.

David - K2DSL

3. WB4IUY

WB4IUY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You beat me to the punch on this...I own 3 companies, have been wrestling with the cost of goods, and have experimented with this idea for many years...and sacrificed several hundred thousand dollars in the experiment. That whole "make it cheaper and you'll sell more, and make more money in volume" doesn't work. The guys who are gonna be cheap will buy a few pieces of whatever, but the overall bottom line takes a dive. The folks who want it, will pay a reasonable price. The seller has to charge the price that's required to stay in business, produce good product, manage warranty issues, and continue to develop better goods.

I digress...Fred and gang have a good thing going here. Let them develop it, get it up and running, in it's final state (if there's ever such a thing with good products, as they always improve), then ask for features, complain about issues, etc.

Dave WB4IUY
    www.WB4IUY.net

4. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's the breakdown of those 3365 QSOs by mode:

74% CW (39% LotW confirmation rate)

13% RTTY (69% LotW confirmation rate)

13% SSB (44% LotW confirmation rate)

.3% PSK (36% LotW confirmation rate)

Dave, AA6YQ

5. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It can work quite well with software, where the cost of goods sold is minimal; Consider iPhone apps, for example.

Obviously one must have a good handle on value, elasticity, and competitive differentiation in order to choose a competent pricing strategy. But driving a core product to ubiquity with a very low (or no) price and offering more expensive add-ons can be a very effective strategy. There's a large and thriving ecosystem built around the free Eclipse software development environment, for example; IBM placed the core Eclipse technology into the public domain in 2004, and now generates hundreds of millions in annual revenue from Eclipse-based products.

Dave, AA6YQ

6. AB0YM

AB0YM Ham Member QRZ Page

I think some important questions have only been touched upon.

As I see it, this product will have 3 overlapping interest group. Those that want:

1) A good, interactive, online logbook.

2) The above plus confirmations.

3) "Paper chasers" -- that is awards.

The first group will be well served as a normal (if there is such a thing) web product, with a reliable, quality interface. The price / demand curve will be similar to any standalone product.

On the 2nd and 3rd groups, I believe comparisons by posters who have had internet businesses are off the mark. Why? In order for models 2 and 3 to work, there must be as large a participation by the community of hams as a whole. That includes a very large percentage of hams that could care less about 1,2, or 3, but would be willing to upload their logs if it is free and easy. Without this, the groups 2 and 3 will be disappointed due to low confirmation rates. I upload my logs at least once a week as a courtesy to those wanting confirmations via LoTW and eQSL. I would probably do the same for QRZ.com if there is enough interest and I could batch upload without paying. I believe there are a lot of other hams, particularly contesters that feel the same.

Those interested in awards will have to be offered awards that are meaningful. Here LoTW has the market, although with a very limited offering. eQSL had limited success with this until the got CQ on board. Only time will tell if the awards offered are meaningful enough to a large enough audience.

There were some pricing comparisons with the other services. Keep in mind that both LoTW and eQSL are free unless you actually want an award.

As for confirmation rates, I am currently at over 44% on LoTW and somewhat less on eQSL. I mostly operate on digital modes (including RTTY) day to day, but this also includes SSB and CW contests and mobiles on the County Hunters Net, which all have a very low online usage.

While I think this product has potential, I don't think it has any chance of success without free bulk uploads.

Thats my 2 cents.

George
    AB0YM

7. AE1PT

AE1PT Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that we get sidetracked when comparing various online resources with each other. LoTW and eQSL are not online logbooks by any stretch of the imagination. They are both QSL confirmation services--tied to the different purposes of generating awards and electronic QSL cards. For LoTW awards are the primary purpose, for eQSL they are a "perk".

QRZ Logbook is being developed as a well rounded online QSO documentation logbook. In that context, it is well suited to those who currently (or in the future) have XML Logbook Database subscriptions and are seeking an online logbook, an accessible backup resource, or wish to work awards that may be connected with QRZ.COM.

BTW, who ever said that confirmed contacts through the QRZ Logbook might not be extensible to possible partnerships with other award generating organizations in the future???

After all, QRZ is not a small, start-up resource within the ham universe!

8. W1DQ

W1DQ Logbook Administrator Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I am not an award chaser or contester. I am not in need of another electronic log system, no matter how improved. Nevertheless, I choose to be sensitive to the needs of those chasing confirmations and awards so I do periodically upload my log in ADIF format to both LoTW and eQSL.

There are a number of yet unanswered questions that a write-up concerning the QRZ logbook and award system and how it works might answer, if one were available by a link on the Site Menu page. Right now it seems only a trail and error process.

Until more is learned, I have decided to disable the feature rather than find it filled with QSO data that might not be responded to.

9. NC8X

NC8X Ham Member QRZ Page

QRZ Logbook

What is it that brings most people to QRZ? it is all of us hams and our Callsigns. if it was not for all of us hams and our calls would there even be a need for QRZ. Should we be getting a cut of the pie, after all, our activity on the air generates lookups on QRZ and then QRZ flashes advertizing to those who come here to look us up. Our callsign is being supplied for FREE. Now there is a Logbook that is again useing our on air activity to generate revenue, and now we are being asked to pay to use a service that will generate revenue. The logbook was a great idea but i am afraid the Dollar signs have gotten in the way. Hrd Log is free and supported by voluntary donations by those who can afford to. In its current form i dont see the QRZ Logbook being popular amoung the majority of hams.

10. AJ4EM

AJ4EM Ham Member QRZ Page

seems to me you're going to pay somebody. I'd rather it be this forum than the post office.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.