Stupid TH-D72A APRS Question

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by W9DAZ, Jun 9, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W9DAZ

W9DAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently bought a Kenwood TH-D72A so that I could get involved with APRS. I thought the TH-D72A would be a good fit for me because; it was in my price range, had all the features that I wanted, and I own mostly Kenwood radios and am very familiar with them.
    I got up and running on APRS [W9DAZ-7] with very little trouble. I like the fact that I can operate APRS on one band (I use the “A” band) while monitoring and talking on the local repeater using the other (B) band.
    But here is the problem; while the radio is operating APRS (on either band) it makes a constant “screeching” sound as part of the operation. This sound is something like a dial-up modem used to make when establishing a connection. This sound is annoying at the very least. It makes it difficult to hear your conversation on the other band.
    I have been through the manuals repeatedly looking for a way to silence this, and can’t find anything. The only thing that works is to turn the radio volume all the way down. But, of course, if you do that you can’t hear the radio traffic on the non APRS band.
    Does anyone know if this can be silenced, and if so, how?
    Thanks.

2. KE7RGP

KE7RGP Ham Member QRZ Page

I ran into this with my new 74a. Try volume balance, mentioned on the bottom of p 14 of the 72a manual: Access Menu No. 121 to set the volume balance between Band A and B.

3. W9DAZ

Thank you for the reply. I had actually tried this already and it didn’t seem to make any difference. Maybe I’ll take another look at it.

4. KE7RGP

KE7RGP Ham Member QRZ Page

Well darnit. It works on the 74A. If you download the 74a manual, they have more words about the volume balance than the 72a manual, including the exact issue you mention. Assuming these functions are the same in both radios, it should work for you, otherwise I'd be on the horn to Kenwood, or a factory reset. Best of luck...

5. W9DAZ

KE7RGP,
    After reading your reply this morning I went back and tried it again, and it worked! What’s more I think I figured out what I did wrong the first time.
    Had you not replied I probably never would have gone back and tried it again.
    Problem solved. Thank you.
    W9DAZ

KC9ONY likes this.