Stupid RPi tricks

Discussion in 'RFinderPi - Open Source radio interface based on R' started by W9FTV, Sep 17, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I took the easy way out and used the LED that is on the board. :)

2. KF5RRF

KF5RRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I can't think of any stupid RPi tricks, but I use an RPi 3 to run my VoIP home phone system - running RasPBX (essentially Asterisk/FreePBX).

You can page the entire house, call or intercom between extensions, and incoming calls ring all phones. If you have kids, get them a number and route calls to their extension! Best of all, the ability to blacklist single numbers, an entire area code or exchange is very easy to do.

K6CLS and KC3BZJ like this.
  3. KE4HTS

KE4HTS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am learning to program in Python on the Rpi. I am planning on stacking several of them together, and use them in the shack for various tasks. One for APRS, one for HF digital modes, one for loggging / DX spotting, one for shack lighting control, etc... the Rpi is a great little processor, but when you try to do more then a couple of tasks at a time it starts to slow down. They are cheap enough so having a separate pi for each task is not that expensive.

KC3BZJ, KF5RRF, K6CLS and 2 others like this.
  4. KC3BZJ

KC3BZJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Especially if you buy the older Pi 2 or B+. I've been seeing them for $10-20 on Ebay. Works fine for projects that don't need the "horsepower" of a Pi 3....

W9FTV likes this.
  5. W9FTV

W9FTV Ham Member QRZ Page

I must be getting lazy in my dotage. I recently bought a TFT touch display for my 2+ and am at a loss to explain why o_O Yes, there are possibilities with GPIO, SPI and other interfaces, but I'd rather have a cheap, low power computer that can act as a router, file server or something else that needs more guts than RPi.

What I really want is a really cheap, small, and powerful computer similar to the Intel atom. Must have 3+ GigE NICs and at least SATA.
    Oh, and it needs to "just work." I'm getting old and cranky, I've spent a lifetime in IT and don't find the 'mystery' all that exciting anymore. Unless it's making an HP superdome supposedly running linux a solid, upstanding citizen. :D

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  6. W9FTV

W9FTV Ham Member QRZ Page

7. N7IVS

N7IVS Ham Member QRZ Page

Me too. VMS, PDP-8, add a few years and here we are.

Ive started using cast off gsaauction.gov computers. Dell 960's? $<30 running linux. Wife machine runs Windows, I actually farm work on hers out to the local small computer shop.

My Pi has been a real treat. Yes, it's a one or two app at a time machine, but it's still faster than CP/M and an 8080a ;-) I've got PostGres running, (I'm an old Oracle DBA), have not done anything with it yet. Was going to use it to control an Ardunio and a digital VFO at some point.