ad: UR5CDX-1

Strongest solar flare of 2016 just occured

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WF9Q, Jul 23, 2016.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Information from spaceweather.com
    [​IMG]

STRONGEST FLARE OF 2016: Departing sunspot complex AR2565-AR2567 erupted on July 23rd, twice, producing two strong solar flares in quick succession. The first @ 0211 UT registered M5 on the Richter Scale of Flares. The second @ 0516 UT registered M7.6, making it the strongest flare of 2016 so far. NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory recorded the flare's extreme ultraviolet flash:

Radiation from the two flares ionized the top of Earth's atmosphere, causing a blackout of shortwave radio transmissions over the Pacific side of Earth. Blackout maps from NOAA show the frequencies and territories affected: blackout #1, blackout #2. People who might have noticed the blackouts include ham radio operators, mariners and aviators.

The explosions likely hurled CMEs into space. However, we won't know for sure until coronagraph images from SOHO become available later in the day. Stay tuned for updates.

KB2NBY likes this.
  2. KC3DRZ

KC3DRZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It appears the CME caused by the flares will miss Earth, heading into space off of the west limb. Info HERE.

3. KA1LWR

KA1LWR Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe it will blow out satellites and do away with the internet and put people back to work again..hihihi

W4IOA likes this.
  4. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a bad title , biggest of the yr.
    That isn't saying much ;)

WF9Q and N4DJT like this.
  5. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I used an entire roll of aluminum foil to make a new cap.

K3RW likes this.
  6. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

My Avatar "fluffy" yesterday:

catintinfoil.jpg

W4DJR, N4EEV, WD8ED and 13 others like this.
  7. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

8. KA0KA

KA0KA Ham Member QRZ Page

Last evening on HF the bands were just terrible. Even running legal limit with this system it was no help. I recently viewed a model for the cycle 24 we are in and it was BAD NEWS. The bands may get worse every year going forward until 2020, then rebounding in 2021 substantially. I guess, I am glad to have a custom 4cx3000a amp being delivered next month. It has taken about two years to get it. I may have to make a foil hat for Coogie as well KY5U lol.

9. K5BIZ

K5BIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

YAWN ... It was just an R2 ... had a few back in January...

Two CMEs were observed in coronagraph imagery lifting off the west limb at 23/0524 UTC and 23/0548 UTC. Subsequent WSA-Enlil models of the events shows a clear miss to the west of the Sun-Earth line

So the sky isn't falling... Most of it missed us. However, you might want to check 20 meters and the higher bands this afternoon/evening because sometimes CME's can cause a great deal of ionization without disruptions to the magnetic field. Translation... 20 meters and up might be a little better this afternoon.

K5BIZ - http://www.bandconditions.com

How did you get that cat to stand still long enough to install 2 co-phased verticals?

10. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Darn cat is a CBer and a space cadet. When I am on the air, she QRMs me with her hat. The only way I can get her outa here is to rub Vicks menthol petroleum jelly on her back side. When the cool breeze hits her she's off and running.

* It's a joke people. No cats were injured in the making of this message.

K3RW, NL7W and KB7AA like this.
  11. KK6ILV

KK6ILV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ya know with those co-phased verticals and some RG/58 in tow with a tall Redwood, you might be on to something for Field Day.... just a thought....

12. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

4CX3000A Class AB1 5KV/1.7A Plate = +5300W.

13. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Try this year; it may be cheaper to send my semi-annual batch of DX QSLs direct rather than through the Bureau. As for coming back next cycle, some scientists suggest we could be in for another Maunder Minimum until the next century. But methods of predicting sunspot cycles may be only slightly more exact than using sheep entrails.

14. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hopefully we'll get our new 500 KC band soon...so at least we can work ground wave.

WF9Q likes this.
  15. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, it was. Through mid day, EU was only S9+10 dB and later, VK/ZL was only S9+20dB to the left coast. I was running 100W to 2el @ 22m (72').

vy 73 es gl,
    Bryan WA7PRC