Strange TS930S PA Fault

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by G3YRO, Dec 2, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

I mentioned measuring R14 the current monitor just in case anything has happened to it due to the excessive current as a precaution.... I dunno how tough this resistor is.

Dave

2. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

It's only had the excessive current for less than 2 seconds at a time, max ! (and even on receive, I turned the rig off straight away)

So I presume that resistor is OK.

But you're right - at some point when I have it apart it might be worth wiring a meter in series with the PA feed to check its calibration.

Roger G3YRO

3. G3YRO

Well I've used the 930 for a couple of hours on CW the last couple of nights, to get the PA warm . . .

I'm pleased to say there has been no sign of the problem re-occuring (I'm continually monitoring PA Current now, to see any signs of change!)

So hopefully this problem WAS that dirty Bias pot changing contact when hot.

However . . . I do now appreciate there MAY still be a problem with one of the PA transistors going leaky between Collector and Base when hot . . . so I will keep my eyes open. (and report back if it happens again)

Thanks everyone who offered advice. (even if you end up self-diagnosing, I find it really useful to discuss faults on here . . . it makes you think things through properly)

Roger G3YRO

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I would be tempted to fuse the PA supply, Like many radios do.

I hate when a RF out transistor becomes the main fuse protector.

Have Fun.

5. G3YRO

Kenwood put a 20 amp fuse soldered inside the rig in the supply line . . .

Roger G3YRO