ad: dxeng

STEPHEN HAWKING: How to build a time machine

Discussion in 'ex-Rag Chew Central' started by W9JEF, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
  1. W9JEF

W9JEF Ham Member QRZ Page

2. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here is my idea of a Time Machine!!!

I want one SO BAD!!!!!

Because I really need to go back to, Oh, say 1960. Maybe the Late 50s.

OK, lets make it 1955!

I could get a job SO EASILY at the Hallicrafters Plant, with my Boat Anchor expertise. I would work on the SX-88 line!

I could buy a house out in the Western Chicago suburbs for maybe $5000. And buy a new 55 Chevy for just a SONG!!!!

Life might be a little tough with no Cellphones, Netbooks, Internet, Facebook, Microwave ovens, GPS, Digital clocks, and Surface Mount Technology, but I would be all set for those when they came along.

Life was so HIGH QUALITY back then. All we had to WORRY about was the Ruskies sending over a NUKE!
  3. W9JEF

W9JEF Ham Member QRZ Page

I would choose 1969. The Pill was in its heyday, and AIDS had yet to rear its head.

Oh, yeah, and I was working at AES, Milwaukee,
    where I reconditioned an SX-88 or two.

Of course my brain would also find itself
    back in that year too, so I would have
    no idea what one would be worth today.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

But without the Flux Capacitor, what good is it, really?
  5. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

6. W5RB

W5RB Guest

The one I built in 2028 looks nothing at all like that .
  7. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

A paradox: I'd go back in time to when I was 13 and talk some sense into me so I wouldn't make the stupid mistakes that I made since then. Of course, things would be so different that I wouldn't be who and where I am now. (This is the basis of a sci-fi movie script I wrote: Precious Time.)

Given the chance, though, I'd go headlong into the future--I want to see how we end up wiping ourselves out. (I'm betting it happens before the Sun goes nova or when my business partner pays up on the money he owes me.)
  8. W5HTW

W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought you knew. You absolutely can't flux without it.

9. AB1FV

AB1FV Ham Member QRZ Page

"Pinky, are pondering what I'm pondering?"
  10. OH2GRA

OH2GRA Ham Member QRZ Page

Just like many of you guys, I'd like to go back in time.
    A few chosen words to myself when i was seventeen or so
    would do good. Indeed it would.:p
    Perhaps even today when i'm 57 it could help.
    But maybe it's to late now.
    I ended up being a HAM. Sort of....
    Last edited: May 5, 2010
  11. KI6DKC

KI6DKC Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't forget the crystals Napolean!
  12. AC4UT

AC4UT Ham Member QRZ Page

It' been done already.

13. W1GUH

W1GUH Ham Member QRZ Page

According to the Hitchhiker's Guide..., as it turned out all the "problems" we think about when it comes to time travel simlpy don't exist. But there is a problem, a very BIG problem where time travel is concerned.

It's the grammar.

Suppose you were anticipating going back in time and doing something, anything at all. How would you express that?

If you start out, "I'm going to..." or "I will..." Oops...WRONG!!!!!!

When you actully carry out the plane, you DID it! So the past tense would be correct. Especially since, it's already DONE whether you've actually gone back and done it yet.

You get the message. I hope that we've got English Professors working on this potential problem!!!!

Many thanks to Doug Adams for this wisdom!
  14. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I would want to travel in time while sitting in a chair in the NY Stock Exchange.

Just after I bot my own bank.

I'm not greedy.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
  15. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it would be cool to be able to go back in time drive a brand new 1957 Corvette around the countryside for a day.
  16. N2NH

N2NH Ham Member QRZ Page

Pray that all you do is go back in time. If it's an alternate reality instead, there would be a very decent chance that they did exactly that. Or that we did. Time travel is a Pandora's Box and easily abused.

The Philadelphia Experiment 2 and The Butterfly Effect are good examples of that.
  17. AC4UT

AC4UT Ham Member QRZ Page

It appears to me that many people already live in a alternate universe than the one I perceive.
  18. M0DCD

M0DCD Ham Member QRZ Page

Think I'll stick with my TARDIS.

(Sorry chaps - but you'll have to wait for the new series to air out your way....)
  19. KA8DKT

KA8DKT Ham Member QRZ Page

That is the most succinct explanation of red shift and blue shift that I have ever read.
    That is, when a flashlight is traveling at almost the speed of light, the light coming from the flashlight never exceeds the speed of light.
  20. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

We actually get Dr. Who and Top Gear on BBC America.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.