Step up Xformer Question - Amp

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KK4YDR, Dec 19, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, I know a few.

The Henry 8K Ultra used a 3CX3000A7 and I know three local hams who own them and never run more than legal limit power; for one thing, it takes a really substantial 240V service to run more than that without tripping a breaker.:p

[​IMG]

2. KK4YDR

KK4YDR Ham Member QRZ Page

So going back to my original question... a step up transformer from a 120v to a 240v outlet for TEMPORARY (T E M P O R A R Y) TEMPORARY, had to spell that out in plain sight, usage until I get a 240v, is it a feasible idea.

Is it feasible even when running amplifier at a much much lower power say ... 500-800 watts SSB PEP. NO CW usage. I live in a rental house right now due to family issues and being out of my state of choice. We are going to be looking to buy soon again at which point I will have the liberty to install what ever power outlet and where and how many I want. I want to just get the amp to use for many many years and not have to play this game of buy and sell and re-buy and blah blah ... you lose so much money. I wouldn't be losing any additional money in the short or long term in paying a couple hundred for a good transformer to put on the floor and temporarily run a legal limit amp (albeit much lower drive and output) until we move out of this rental home.

My thread has gotten so far off track, 4 pages worth, I just wanted to see if there was a final consensus. I understand if it is a bad idea, but I do not think I posed my questions clearly in the very beginning of the thread.

3. WB2WIK

Sure, why wouldn't it work?

If it's a really BIG transformer you should be able to pull 7A @ 230V from it, connected to a standard residential wall outlet.

4. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Got a 30 amp breaker on a 240v circuit here, pretty common.

That will give you 7.2kw

50 amp breakers are not uncommon. Some people heat their houses with electric here.

I also know a few stations with super power, for some reason they all hang out on 75 and 20m

Rege

5. W8GP

W8GP Subscriber QRZ Page

It's already been stated that the amps you mentioned can be wired for 120v. This would what I would recommend over a step-up transformer. With the transformer you would have to draw even more 120v current due to the losses in the transformer itself. Wire it for 120 and run the amp at half power until you can upgrade to 240. And if you can wire up your radio and antennas, you should certainly be able to install a 240 outlet at a cost of $100-150. Good luck.

6. KK4YDR

KK4YDR Ham Member QRZ Page

The AL-82 and the AL-1500 can't be wired for 110 volts. Not happening. UNless there is a super secret sauce method. I called Ameritron and they also told me they are hardwired and designed exclusively for 220volt operation. Hence my ongoing debate. I live in a rental house right now. Hence the opposition I am getting to wiring in 220v. We are buying soon anyways.

The AL-800H is unobtainium right now. So scratch that off my list.

7. WB2WIK

None of the 'legal limit' amplifiers I know of, and certainly none from Ameritron, have the 120V option; they're 240V only and don't have dual primary transformers.

The 'smaller' amps, including the ones rated <1500W PEP from Ameritron, have the 120V option, provided by using dual primaries.

8. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

You would likely die broke in respect to the 3X3.
    Unlike your cynicism there are some who build to old style battleship construction and could care less about the filament power.

A friend a few towns away has a 20M monobander that is used for MM contesting operator training and never runs illegal. However it is quite idiot proof.

The 4X5 is a popular CB tube including in mobile service.

Carl

9. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

SOme of them BIG boys on Ch. 20 in Boston had the big 5KW tube setups in the vans.... When they keyed down, it was like throwing an anchor out the door.

Ed

10. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Back to the subject at hand: I too, have used the 240 volt extension cord approach. Made one in a "Y" shape one head for the dryer, on for the amp.

Ran the romex along the baseboards and it was hardly noticeable; in fact our land lady came thru the house one time "just looking" and never noticed the cord running down the hallway.

I have also used the same approach with an outside hot tub.

Just be careful/safe!