Step up Xformer Question - Amp

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KK4YDR, Dec 19, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KK4YDR

KK4YDR Ham Member QRZ Page

Dear QRZ friends,

This is gonna seem like an odd question but I think its a valid one.

I am, just after new year, going to get an amplifier. Right now I am between a rock and a hard place. I rent my home and have been for quite a while. I have non destructively installed various amateur hardware including my massively impressive skyloop antenna. However, there is no provision for a 220-240v socket in my shack. Short of paying an electrician $500-1000 to install one and having to get the owners permission in writing, probably denied, I was considering my options.

I am between getting an AL-80B due to it being the largest sized amplifier that offers a 120v connection.

I am also wanting to get an AL-800H or even an AL-1500. I do not want to purchase an amp with the attitude of "I can just sell it and get another when i'm ready". I want to get an amplifier that can do legal limit up front if possible.

Would it be possible to get a large step up transformer. I have seen some that support up to 3kw. I know that a 120v outlet is limited to safely deliver around 1200 watts max due to breaker size and wire size etc..

Is it possible to and realistic to get a big amp, and just drive it low for now until I can provide a true 240v outlet for it in the future? This way I can run an AL-1500 at say 10-15 watts drive and keep the power consumption below or within the 120v breaker and wiring limitation? I am sure it wont hurt the amp at all to run it lower since it all it does is amplify the power I input. If I input lower power I should keep the total amplifier consumption much lower.

This sounds feasable as a temporary solution.

I was thinking of one of these...
    http://www.amazon.com/Seven-Star-TC1500W-Step-Transformer-1500W/dp/B000AY3JEK

or a 3kw model not that I would ever be able pull even the 1500watt models capacity.

2. REASTON

REASTON QRZ Member

You gain nothing by doing what you are doing. I thought that the AL-XX series of amps could be run on 120vac but Ameritron didn't advertise it. Maybe I am wrong. It seems that at one time they had a transformer with dual primaries. I have a N11m 2KW Triad step up/down transformer and it cost $200 15 years ago. It weighs 33.3 lbs. Good luck with finding a cheap one. The one you have a link for probably will blow up within about 5 minutes.

http://links.surr.us/n-11mg.pdf

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  3. KK4YDR

Nevermind ... I actually did something smart for once in my life. I downloaded and looked at the AL-800H instruction manual. It can totally 100% be rewired for 120v operation. I will just have to watch my drive and tune it down in power output. Around 800 watts until I can afford to pay for a 240v outlet one of these days.

Thanks.

Edit** Actually the more I look at the more I like the idea of the AL-82 due to the lower cost 3-500ZG tubes.

4. REASTON

REASTON QRZ Member

You really need to learn to read and comprehend English better.

5. KK4YDR

nevermind ... I just edited my comments.

Don't even reply to me. I have never liked you because of the way you talk to people. Ill just report the next reply you make as harassment.

KC9UDX and KM5FL like this.
  6. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

What is the possibility of running a heavy duty extension cord for 240 to you breaker panel and hooking the amplifier up to it when needed? It is simple to install it on a 2 pole breaker and remove it if need be. This way you can get an Al-82 or better yet an Al-1500. Forget about a step up transformer. That is foolish and gains you nothing as the power capability of the existing outlet won't change.

WA7PRC likes this.
  7. AG4RT

AG4RT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe something similar to this on your dryer outlet and then run a heavy duty extension cord to the amp. You may have to coordinate your radio schedule with your wife's laundry schedule. :)

8. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Remember that your 120V receptacle MOST LIKELY has other receptacles in line before or after. Also, you may want to pull the receptacle out to inspect the connections. If the wires are under the screws, that will suffice. If the wires are poked in the back, you will need to identify all connections in the circuit & correct them. "Poke wired or Back stabbed" receptacles are poor at conducting the amperage that you need.

Ed

9. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Just get your wife to crank a little faster.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

WA7PRC and KK4YDR like this.
  10. KK4YDR

Hah yeah there are some great ideas here. Im considering the extension to the breaker panel as well as the dryer which isnt that far away like 12 feet.