Static charge on my EFHW?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by WB2IOL, May 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K6BRN

K6BRN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Rege (AI3V):

Well... pretty much all of them since I'm not selling anything. I have no monetary interest in this at all. And all of my advice is free, just like yours. You have a junkyard approach and I simply want others to know they have these other off-the-shelf options, which are readily available, work well and are reasonably priced. The EFHW antennas I have an use I bought an paid for, like everybody else.

In the past, these forums DID NOT serve me well, nor did the ARRL library, including the Handbook and various antenna references. The forum "peanut gallery" of non-users/self-proclaimed antenna experts routinely bashed EFHWs over every picayune thought they could invent, the ARRL library barely covers them and was largely useless. So until a friendly local ham demonstrated exactly what I was looking for to me, and demonstrted that it actually worked well, my solutions to issues at two QTHs (band-fill antenna, stealth antenna) were pretty limited. Not any more.

It's not about YOU, Rege. It's about the peanut gallery suppressing good solutions to common problems by intimidating the user community with the holy grail of antenna physics and effective calling the sellers and users of this good solution idiots. Ironic, when the clique that pursued this agenda could not even effectively model the antenna they were bashing, nor did they ever try and use it. Until VERY recently. Surprise! It works. What a thought.

As I've said before - an enormous disservice to new hams, hams in HOAs and hams seeking simple "band-fill" antenna solutions.

Brian - K6BRN

2. KW4TI

KW4TI Ham Member QRZ Page

If I do have one criticism of MyAntennas, I would say that selling such a small transformer is setting up the customer for disappointment. He sells it as a "magic" antenna. He says literally on https://myantennas.com/wp/efhw-8010-is-this-the-ultimate-magic-antenna/

YES! EFHW-8010-1K is ultimate MAGIC antenna!

No, that's not setting up the customer for disappointment! Well, the transformer does absorb power, and for a small core that causes it to overheat. What gets me is that FT240-43 cores aren't even that expensive. Look:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...GAEpiMZZMs2JV%2BnT/vX8PSq2BULPkJLFOO3yrB4H3E=

The cost of one core is $4.55 at Mouser. Two would be $9.10. Does that really eat into profits that much to use properly sized cores? Winding the autotransformer is super easy, and all you need on top of that 2 or 3 33 pF, 2 kV capacitors in parallel, so like, another dollar if you're being generous. Less than a meter of Teflon wire, a PVC box, some stainless steel hardware, and a wire as the antenna with a little loop in it towards the end. I don't mind the guy making a profit, but if he's going to sell a lossy transformer, it should be sized correctly for the task at hand.

Anyways that's all I have to say, and also, don't feed the trolls.

Dan
    KW4TI

AG5DB likes this.
  3. N4MTB

N4MTB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The core is overheating. Same thing happens on my folded, terminated dipole when I run QRO RTTY. If I run RTTY I need to keep the power less than 700 watts.

4. W2WDX

W2WDX Subscriber QRZ Page

Grrr ... Here we go again ... I'm just gonna sit here and not say anything ... I ... I ... Oh damn it! ....

I just don't have these issues with my simple dipole on my tiny 50' x 100' property, even QRO on AM.

Stealth ... HMO's ... apartments ... there is no real solution that doesn't come with compromise and issues.

Some antennas "designed" for this do work, but do they work well or reliably? The number of "I'm having issues" posts on these and similar antennas is more indicative of the answer; more than any of the models or marketing or theories.

Not trolling here, just reality checking.

Poop, I said too much. Shut up, John o_O

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  5. K6BRN

Danny has increased power handling on his EFHW-8010/4010 at least twice - once with the 2-core 8010/4010 HP and again with the 3-core -2K. To the best of my knowledge, MyAntennas has the highest power, broadband/multiband, resonant end-fed antennas out there. We use a stub-tuned end-fed at one of my club stations, and its a PITA in comparison.

I'm sure he's looking for a better way to increase power handling. Any ideas?

Agree 100%. And you are NOT trolling. As you said - it's reality. Life is all about the compromises you make - there are better ones and worse ones. Anyone who is absolutely uncompromising generally finds themselves alone, living in a tent. Marriage is a good lesson in compromise. Hard to do, well. But better choices make it easier.

For me, the EFHW was a better stealth solution at QTH#2 than the "Magnetic Loop" (local high voltage, near-near field RF exposure and interference), the "Attic Dipole" (like to use every single wire in the attic as a secondary radiator into all the electonics in the place). The "Flagpole" (HOA simply would not buy it). Etc.

At QTH #1 it worked better than the vertical, hovering silently over the backyard in a horizontal V to enable 30M and 80M coverage. Definitely a compromise - wish I could have a 100 foot guyed tower with an 80M 2-element Yagi, here in the densly populated beach cities of SoCal. But that's just not to be.

Brian - K6BRN

6. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

I wont hold my breath wating for you to show up at a antenna measuring party.

Insult away my friend, I have thick skin, and $pent way too much money 40 years ago as a new novice on lousy antennas.

This is just my way of paying back the now sk's that taught me how to build effective, economical antennas.

If you and danny actually sold a whole antenna that worked as advertised it would be one thing,

But instead its half a antenna that needs additional purchases, and still dosn't work as advertised.

And suggesting a antenna that REQUIRES the wiring in the house to even hope to work poorly, and to suggest this antenna to hams operating in a HOA

:rolleyes:

Good day to you,

Rege

7. WB5WPA

WB5WPA Ham Member QRZ Page

It's the "Never Ending Story", only, antennas ...

The Never Ending Story (1984) - Childhood Fantasy Movie

8. K6BRN

Hi James (WB5WPA):

I'm actually suprised that you saw that movie and know it well enough to post a link. Good for you! Great kids movie.

Rege (AI3V):

Good night Rege, and thanks for all of your help.

Brian - K6BRN

9. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

You know some people just do not want to hear advice about [insert ham radio subject here]