STACKING 6 AND 2 METER BEAM ANTENNAS

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KB3TKQ, Nov 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KB3TKQ

KB3TKQ Ham Member

Here's another question... since a beam antenna radiates horizontally, is it feasible to "stack" one over the other on the same pole thus only needing one rotor? If so, what are the laws governing a successful installation?

-KB3TKQ

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  2. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member

No problem!

The farther apart the better. However, I have stacked VHF beams as close as a couple of feet apart without any noticeable interaction.

Here are photos of my antennas:

http://k9sth.com/uploads/Antennas_At_K9STH.pdf

The 6-meter yagi is on top because of having to clear the branches of the tree.

Glen, K9STH

3. KB3TKQ

KB3TKQ Ham Member

That's what I thought. I was considering about 2 feet between them. Nice set up by the way.....

4. N9DSJ

N9DSJ Subscriber

Sure, done all the time, if I understand your question correctly. Also you can stack multiple beams for either band for additional gain and a cleaner pattern using a power divider / phasing harness. Spacing distance depends on boom length.

5. KF6NFW

KF6NFW Ham Member

I do believe the wording is along the lines of staying within "good Engineering practices". Which leaves me to believe that as long as it doesnt look and act like it is a safety hazard either as a fall issue or just overall a a bad design on the install of tower/mast and rotors, then you should be just fine.

I know of no state or local laws that govern how an antenna is to be mounted in regards to amateur equipment. Listen to Glen,(K9STH) he has been around since the day of the Spark transmitters, and can definitely teach us a thing or two!:D
    If nothing else he does know a thing or two about grounding and other aspects that probably would make some of our toes curl and wish to fall off.

6. KB3TKQ

KB3TKQ Ham Member

Both antennas are approx 2.5 feet in length. 6m would be a 2 element, and my 2 meter is 5 elements.

7. KF6NFW

KF6NFW Ham Member

what 6 meter 2 el beam is 2 and half feet long?
    I need to get me one of these, unless it uses the same measuring system my wife does! She thinks that she can cover 3 miles in 15 minutes at 75MPH, I still dont get the same answer she does but it seems to work for her, so I leave it alone!:eek::rolleyes::D

8. KB3TKQ

KB3TKQ Ham Member

Diamond A502HB 2 Element beam w/2.5' boom. :eek::rolleyes::D........:p

9. KF6NFW

KF6NFW Ham Member

so my wifes math does check out, cool deal I will ahve to check into that toy now!

10. N9DSJ

N9DSJ Subscriber

http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/a502hb.html, for one. As for, "unless it uses the same measuring system my wife does! ", I best not go there :)

11. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member

Sounds quite close spacing to have much gain ! :eek: I would expect a good design to have at least a quarterwavelength between elements if there are only two.
    Anyway, There is a rule of thumb in stacking Yagis for different bands, the distance should be half the boom length of the larger antenna.

12. KB3TKQ

KB3TKQ Ham Member

So 2 feet between them should me more than enough??

13. N9DSJ

N9DSJ Subscriber

I would not expect much pattern distortion or other interaction between them at that distance but if more is mechanically feasible I would move them apart a bit further.

14. KB3TKQ

KB3TKQ Ham Member

Yes, more would be mechanically possible, but I want to conserve in height......

15. KF6NFW

KF6NFW Ham Member

I was suspecting the same thing. I was thinking something a bit bigger would be needed. after looking at the specs though I see it has a whopping 6.3dbi.
    Then again, it is doing much better then the antenna I dont have in the air!

16. KB3TKQ

KB3TKQ Ham Member

Yes, it's not a power house of an antenna, but the price fits the budget right now, and I can always use it to set up on my mobile when parked in ideal areas when I decide to upgrade.

17. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber

If you don't have to stop, you can actually cover 18.75 miles in 15 minutes at 75 mph...:)

18. KF6NFW

KF6NFW Ham Member

Thi sknow, but to the wife a mile only takes either 10 seconds or 10 minutes depending on the day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.