SSD Issues in Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'OS: Mac OS' started by N0TZU, Apr 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
  1. N0TZU

N0TZU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm considering replacing the hard drive with an SSD in my shack Mac Mini (late 2012, 16GB,running Sierra). Other than the tedious mechanical access, has anyone had any problems with this?

2. K3DCW

K3DCW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No problems, only good results.

Make sure you have the right tools; there are some odd screwheads and the such. I bought a tool set from Other World Computing at the same time I bought my SSDs. Following their instructional videos made the swap rather painless.

3. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Make sure you have an image of your drive to restore once the drive is installed.

4. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Depending upon the version of OS X, you may need to install "trim enabler".

5. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm thinking of upgrading my MacMini with an SSD drive, too--mine's got space for two drives so I'm waffling between replacing its original drive and just using that or using the SSD as my "main" drive and use my original one in addition to it.

I've heard nothing but good things about OWC's (now macsales.com) kit. Be sure to watch their vid on how to replace the Mac Mini's drive so the process is as painless as possible: https://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/mac_mini2012_hd/.

6. K3DCW

K3DCW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The difference in performance between an SSD and a mechanical drive is astounding, especially on bootup and every time you start an application.

7. W1HMM

W1HMM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

MacSales has fantastic products and support. I have replaced the spindle drives in all my computers with SSDs and haven't regretted it. They sell packages that also come with an external case for the spindle drive you remove. I've done that and used the old drive for external storage and backups.

--Harry