Splitters/combiners

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by AA7QQ, Jul 3, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

THe seller of these pallets emailed me & is looking for the splitters & combiners this week. He moved the warehouse. We'll see where that leads. Otherwise, next weekend, I'll start working on a setup.

Thank you,
    Ed

2. WB3BEL

WB3BEL Ham Member QRZ Page

Low pass topology is generally preferred for combiners especially as they can assist with harmonic filtering.
    So if you make it from lumped components or even transmission line segments it pays to think about this.
    Most popular with professional designers are hybrid combiners like branchline or rat race.
    Also popular are Gysel combiners.
    These all have advantages over the Wilkinson divider but all will work if one understands the limitations.

Another thing to consider is the topology of any terminations used in the combiner you choose.
    It is slightly easier to get thermal power out of shunt configured loads to their related heatsink if they are used to dump power.
    This often happens under a condition where one of the modules fails or if they are not all the same gain or phase and are not sharing equally in the power generation.

3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You could cool it with Hyperfluor like the Cray computer. :) (Super clean hydrogen peroxide...HI!)

4. KL7AJ

5. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, that's why I was thinking a lumped component setup. Put the equalization resistors all on 1 heat sink. We'll see what comes of it.

I have a neat idea for water cooling. Got to test it first.

Thank you,
    Ed

AF6LJ likes this.
  6. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Good thread this one snuck up on me.

7. KL7AJ

I din't think anything could sneak up on a kitty. :)

AF6LJ likes this.
  8. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyway this is a good thread.

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Cats and dogs both have superior smell, eyesight and hearing to humans and I don't think I could sneak up on a dog, either.

However, if it's "your" cat or dog, although they may know you're there, they often couldn't care less.

Let a stranger try it, and it's a different story.

AF6LJ likes this.
  10. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Navy did the exact same thing with 4 an/wsc3 transceivers (225-400mhz) on the Midway (and other ships) used for relaying thru a geosynchronous satellite.

Rege