Speech To Morse Code Demo

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N3HEE, Oct 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N3HEE

N3HEE Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been thinking about the idea of Speech To Morse code for quite some time. I thought it would be really cool to just speak into a mic and CW would magically pop out of the radio. I recently started playing around with programming a Node-Red dashboard to control my Flex 6600M radio. Node-Red is a powerful software development tool that requires minimal programming by connecting pre-programmed "nodes" together. It's based on JavaScript. I ran across a node that would send recorded speech to IBM Watson and return text. The light bulb in my head went off and I quickly developed a Speech to Morse code converter that would send my spoken words directly to my radio as CW commands. I quickly found that there are some challenges with doing this such as Morse abbreviations, punctuation's and converting single spoken letters and words correctly. I then developed a Morse translator to deal with some of these issues and now have something that works reasonably well. I am able to have basic QSO's with a few spoken words. For now this is a work in progress and a novelty but perhaps someday it could be used by someone with limited physical abilities ?

Take a look at this short video demo to see how it works.

2. KG4KAH

KG4KAH Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting. One of the values of Morse is that it can be understood in very noisy band conditions. You could also make it to successfully decode back to print for those who have hearing loss. Just thinking...

Wade
    KG4KAH
    SKCC 21094

3. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

It's already been developed

4. N3HEE

N3HEE Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Wade.

There are many Morse code decoders (Morse to Text) available to try. Unfortunately there are many challenges to get them to work well with QRM, QSB, QRN and poor sending. However, if used with strong CW signals with good sending techniques such as a keyboard they can work pretty well.

I'm sure others have experimented with Speech to Morse code. The unique thing about my experiment is that you simply key the microphone on the computer and speak. Within seconds of unkeying the microphone the converted code is automatically sent to my radio and transmitted without needing to do anything else.

The challenge is working with speech patterns and such. You have to "train" the Speech to Text engine on what text you want it to return. For example you want it to return (cant) for the word (can't). We don't want to send the apostrophe in Morse code. So I had to write a translator for those kind of things.

My first on air test was very fun. It felt very strange speaking to send Morse code.

Fun stuff !

K0UO likes this.
  5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. I did it back in the 90s. Seemed like it was cheating.

Computers are a lot faster now, You can cheat faster, And talk Drunk. :rolleyes:

You should not cheat on Mr. Morse.

K0UO likes this.
  6. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

Certainly interesting. Over my speed for sure but kinda cool. Provided a guy who did not know code was using it, I have noticed the downfall seems to be on the reader end. I have experimented a bit with reader running along with my code around 20 but unless they are on a keyboard or sending properly with a keyer the reader seems to be out of luck it seems. Neat stuff anyway, out of my technical ability, 73 Rich

7. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

I think its a lot, lot cooler to be able to send morse using a real morse key and then receive the reply using your brain to decide what was sent. Thats what morse is all about - the human!

Anyone with a decoder or keyboard/computer can send/receive morse with no skill.

W9RAC and N7BKV like this.
  8. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree. But once you have achieved it in a somewhat meaningful way its kind of fun to play around a bit. I have messed with a keyboard and two of my rigs have readers in them. I would not want to venture into a conversation not knowing how to decode mentally from what I have seen thus far. The keyboard was kind of a novelty for a bit but its really not much fun. I can touch type so its more of a normal action to me but the code lacks any human character. Some of the code I have been subject to however that might be a good thing. My ts990 and FT 101d both have readers, neither can code a bug or mechanical key from any Op I have found to date. Works very good with keyer sent code if the guy is somewhat decent in sending and of course never a problem with keyboard code, its always perfect. I let the reader run along hoping to find someone who is sending with a mechanical key it can decode so I can congratulate them. If your sending with a mechanical key and a reader can decode you....... your good. 73 Rich

M6GYU likes this.
  9. W4MHZ

W4MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting bit of coding. Well done. High marks for imagination and implementation. I wrote a Morse trainer (in Pascal) back around 1986. It ran on a C 64 and I eventually ported the code to an IBM PC. The company that I worked for at the time was a defense contractor. I don't believe I ever tried to write something that could copy code. That problem would be an interesting one. I've seen a few of them. Some of them are quite good. Some not so much.

10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Just ask Alexa "Send CQ DX CQ DX" in Morse code. :cool:

M6GYU and WB5YUZ like this.