ad: vanity

Spectrum display texting

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by W8AAZ, Mar 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Working a pileup on 20M today, saw something odd. A station was sending his callsign as an image on my spectrum display. Moved up band and contacted him. He said it was a function he had added to his SDR radio. Burst of tones on SSB and the callsign appears on the waterfall display of the spectrum scope until it drifts down out of sight. That seemed cool. I was using plus or minus 25 kHz on my display and he was running a little over 3 kHz of transmit bandwidth setting. So in a wide sweep it would be unnoticed. The sweep needs to be narrow enough that his transmit B/W is easily visible over a segment but probably would be distorted on a very narrow spectrum where the signal filled up too much of the sweep. Seems an interesting use of SSB now that many of us have spectrum displays.

2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The SSTV guys have been doing that for years, sending their call in the waterfall after the image has been sent. I've seen it many times Not sure how they do it but they do. It's pretty cool IMO.

Dave
    W7UUU

3. WB5WPA

WB5WPA Ham Member QRZ Page

A function of Easypal once upon a time I'm thinking ...

4. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

With a wide band SDR, you can send high resolution images. I did hack the waterfall colors to be a slightly blue tinted black and white. The signal is 2 MHz wide and uses 4096 OFDM carriers.

[​IMG]

Video here.

http://www.w6rz.net/spectrumpaint.mp4

5. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This has also been done on PSK31 for quite a while.

6. AA4PB

AA4PB Ham Member QRZ Page

IMHO, not too cool if you are taking up a lot of bandwidth on a spectrum full of narrow PSK31 signals. How many QSOs do you take out while transmitting your call sign display?

7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Have you visited one of the PSK segments lately? Even if this were to create a problem--it doesn't take a lot of bandwidth by any means--who would notice? ;)

8. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

MultiPSK had the option to send a 'Reed-Solomon' identifier of mode and frequency before the transmission of digi sigs, I think there was also an option to put text at the end of the trans. I'm not sure what modes that was available on but I remember seeing a few stations that used it. It made for easy ID of signals when looking around, but I never saw it in use very much. Prolly a few other programs that do it too. I thought it was cool and a good feature, it was always hard to figure out what digi mode was being sent and I used to have to go through them all without much success. The new modes are much easier, lots more co-operation.