Speaking of Tek scopes... 2467B "bright eye" restoration

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by W1BR, May 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

Last week's effort. Unit was sold as not powering up. As expected, it needed a full set of new electrolytic caps. Unexpected problems were bad components in astigmatism and focus areas of HV board, and several other issues (damage) caused by previous "repair" attempts by a past owner. Also found the some "tech" had removed power for the fan!
    Cataracts and old age are starting to limit my abilities, unfortunately.

Out for calibration and having the NVRAM replaced with a F-RAM upgrade.

Pete

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WB5THT, WA7PRC and KA0HCP like this.
  2. WB5WPA

WB5WPA Ham Member QRZ Page

The good news is - there are able to do miraculous things with surgery to remedy cataracts. My Dad had surgery some years back (but now RIP) and I had both eyes done last year July-Aug time frame. It's amazing, I can do fine work again.

W1BR likes this.
  3. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the advice. I am going to push to get my eyes done this year. Doctor says to wait, but I would like to see and do what I want now before other issues arrise.

4. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That was/is one of the best analog scopes made, IMHO

K0OKS likes this.
  5. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

Indeed. The last and best of the Tek analog line. A friend bought an imported digital scope. Lots of gee wiz features. Two weeks later it was dead. It is now a very expensive door stop. No support, no technical documentation. I stick with the old stuff that has service manuals and a minimum of SMD parts.

6. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got a 2440 in the to-do pile at the moment, along with a couple Tekmate 2402A GPIB controllers. Once those are fixed I'm going to start looking for a 2465DVM and a 497 to round out the bench.

W1BR likes this.
  7. WB5THT

WB5THT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a nice 4 channel HP and an Agilent MSO - both are CRTs which I much prefer over my Siglent scope. I haven’t turned that one on in a couple of years.

8. KA5IPF

KA5IPF Ham Member QRZ Page

Silly wabbits, Tek makes scopes, HP makes everything else.

KS4W and WB5THT like this.
  9. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

Would have been nice if Tek used decent caps. Early issues with their first production runs in the 1990's using SMD electrolytic caps, and I am now finding these failing tantalum en masse in a 497P:

[​IMG]