Speakers vs Headphones vs DSP for poor hearing

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by K4GPS, Mar 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

You left something out------

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

2. N4AAB

N4AAB Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I learned something at the doctor's office before I moved to my current QTH. He mentioned there were large ear wax deposits in my ears. Apparently I inherited that from my mother's side of the family as she had that problem to. So before I get back on HF, I need to clean my ears out. The things I learn as I grow older and older.

3. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I have to do that occasionally. I hear that 50% water diluted 3% hydrogen peroxide solution will slowly dissolve the wax, or I found
    a solution at the drug counter. Takes a few days, but works.

My test: Compare phone dial tone in each ear. Should sound the same.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

4. K0VWA

K0VWA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have high frequency loss too but don't know how much. Agree that it's tiring work pulling words out of noise sometime. I use some lower-end in ear monitors (Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 pros) and the two audio equalizers in my Peavy mixer to cut 24dB at the low and high ends and boost the vocal range 3-6db as needed.

Would probably be cheaper to just get a DSP and a good speaker but I already had the mixer and headphones. :) Good luck!

Carl

5. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I know this topic has been around for a while. But thought I might chime in, I have some hearing loss. I won’t wear headphones I need to remain in touch with what is going on around the house. Also the headphones did not help me. I have a clear speech speaker, those are good but old. Had a BHI dsp added to my 817 and this has helped more then I can say. I still want to try a small mixer along with my dsp. I don’t use my FT-857 much anymore as the BHI dsp in my FT-817 makes a dramatic difference. Talked a friend into the BHI speaker with the same dsp. He is really shocked at how nice it is. You might try one of those. The one he got was around $200.