Speaker mics

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by KG5SFT, Feb 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
  1. KG5SFT

KG5SFT Ham Member QRZ Page

I just bought a Yaesu ft 70dr. I bought an after-market speaked mic one that said it was compatible with the 70dr. It didn't work on it. Next I bought a Workman speaker mic that said it was compatible with the 70dr also. It didn't work either has anyone encountered this kind of problem with the Yaesu ft 70dr and if so did you have to resort to getying an authentic speaker mic from Yaesu?

2. K6BSU

K6BSU Ham Member QRZ Page

I think most "speaker-mics" use a mic element that requires a small DC current (phantom bias). If the radio is looking for a dynamic type (either high Z or low Z) you must inject a small current into the signal lead. Usually, a 10K resistor tied to +5 to +12V will work.

3. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

As a guess, push the plug in a bit further. It may feel seated, but with 4 contacts, you might be 1 out.

Ed

4. W0FM

W0FM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

i think ED is likely correct. Plus, some generic speaker mics also have a bit more rubberized/plastic on the grip of the speaker mic plug (making it a bit fatter). If the radio has any degree of depth where the jack opening is below the top of the plastic housing, the mic plug will often require some filing down of the "grip" to let it go in far enough for all four contacts to be correctly connected. Check on that.

AA7QQ likes this.
  5. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Indubidibly...

Ed

6. KA5ROW

KA5ROW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Remember a lot of non Icom mikes if not all will not work on Icom radios. Look at this way Icom radios are black sheep of the radio family. There radios supply around 8 volts. You could damage your Icom radio.
    Yea the original post talks about Yaesu. but someone reading this thread may think I can do this to their Icom radio. So careful. Just wanted to say, to protect a fellow ham