Spare Parts:

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by KA5ROW, May 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member

Spare Parts:

Do you have spare parts for your older equipment, just in-case that critical part fails or would be hard to get?

I do.

I have many critical parts for my Kenwood TL-922A and Heathkit SB-220, and I pick up a few more when the price is right.

I believe it is important to have them, so you can do a quick repair if needed, instead of waiting for weeks in hopes someone may have one, or pay through the nose on e-Bay.

Most of mine have come from e-Bay, but at times they are way over priced so I pass until I can get a fair deal.

2. NA0AA

NA0AA Ham Member

I suppose if you knew what parts were most likely to fail or become unobtainium on you, it might make sense, or in the case of older and simpler rigs, buy a non-working spare for parts might be a good plan. Given the cost of replacement tubes, an amp with a bad 8877 might be a good investment as a backup chassis.

I'm not that mission critical anymore, besides, I've got three HF rigs on the desk now and a spare on the shelf! and only one mouth.

3. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber

Try the latest way of contesting that's sweeping the nation, SO2M.

Single Operator Two Mouths.

Tom KC├śW

4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member

One possible problem with that process is if the current piece of equipment lasts a long time, the "spare" may have parts that have failed, as well. That can be the case of "unused" electrolytic capacitors in a power supply section; and it's pretty well established that keeping glass transmitting tubes (such as 3-500ZG's) on a shelf for a long time is not a good idea, unless they get rotated with other tubes.

5. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member

My thinking is plate & filament transformers, plate chokes, other chokes. All caps should always be brand new. Maybe a few door knob cap's

Some tube's but no power tubes. Like 3.500z not even 572b's

6. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member

I have a few parts on hand. Two of my radios have hanger queens ready and willing to donate parts.

7. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber

I have a WHOLE HOUSE full of spare parts; and a garage full, and a whole LOFT full at work and a whole backroom full! I NEED plenty of spare parts!!
    [​IMG]
    don't know whats in there, but there is LOTS of it!

8. WD5GWY

WD5GWY Ham Member

Pat, I "think" I spotted an SX-88 sitting under the shelf on the
    right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member

Have a few new parts tubes, caps, new set of expander boards and the like for my FT-101 series of radios and amps but do have 3 complete spare radios in the basement, All 3 of them work but 2 were very rough condition and 1 was a CB'ers delight but works and in in excellent condition with plastic still on front not a scratch in fact came with the box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.