ad: Radworld-1

Spare Parts:

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by KA5ROW, May 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-Waters
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

Spare Parts:

Do you have spare parts for your older equipment, just in-case that critical part fails or would be hard to get?

I do.

I have many critical parts for my Kenwood TL-922A and Heathkit SB-220, and I pick up a few more when the price is right.

I believe it is important to have them, so you can do a quick repair if needed, instead of waiting for weeks in hopes someone may have one, or pay through the nose on e-Bay.

Most of mine have come from e-Bay, but at times they are way over priced so I pass until I can get a fair deal.

2. NA0AA

NA0AA Ham Member QRZ Page

I suppose if you knew what parts were most likely to fail or become unobtainium on you, it might make sense, or in the case of older and simpler rigs, buy a non-working spare for parts might be a good plan. Given the cost of replacement tubes, an amp with a bad 8877 might be a good investment as a backup chassis.

I'm not that mission critical anymore, besides, I've got three HF rigs on the desk now and a spare on the shelf! and only one mouth.

3. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Try the latest way of contesting that's sweeping the nation, SO2M.

Single Operator Two Mouths.

Tom KC├śW

4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

One possible problem with that process is if the current piece of equipment lasts a long time, the "spare" may have parts that have failed, as well. That can be the case of "unused" electrolytic capacitors in a power supply section; and it's pretty well established that keeping glass transmitting tubes (such as 3-500ZG's) on a shelf for a long time is not a good idea, unless they get rotated with other tubes.

5. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

My thinking is plate & filament transformers, plate chokes, other chokes. All caps should always be brand new. Maybe a few door knob cap's

Some tube's but no power tubes. Like 3.500z not even 572b's

6. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a few parts on hand. Two of my radios have hanger queens ready and willing to donate parts.

7. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a WHOLE HOUSE full of spare parts; and a garage full, and a whole LOFT full at work and a whole backroom full! I NEED plenty of spare parts!!
    [​IMG]
    don't know whats in there, but there is LOTS of it!

8. WD5GWY

WD5GWY Ham Member QRZ Page

Pat, I "think" I spotted an SX-88 sitting under the shelf on the
    right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Have a few new parts tubes, caps, new set of expander boards and the like for my FT-101 series of radios and amps but do have 3 complete spare radios in the basement, All 3 of them work but 2 were very rough condition and 1 was a CB'ers delight but works and in in excellent condition with plastic still on front not a scratch in fact came with the box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.