ad: KF7PMW-1

Soundmodem/AGWPE vs TNC

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N6OSB, Mar 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
  1. N6OSB

N6OSB Ham Member QRZ Page

I just setup an iGate(N6OSB-1) with a soundmodem(AGWPE?) instead of using a real TNC. I am picking up lots of packets. But I wonder, If I had a real TNC would I pickup more packets? Is there any advantage of having a TNC if I already have soundmodem working?

TIA

2. KG4PID

KG4PID Ham Member QRZ Page

I would it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you just want to see whats going on around you, then not much difference. If you want to be a digi, a standalone TNC means you don't need a PC running 24/7.

Max

3. N6OSB

N6OSB Ham Member QRZ Page

I already have several computers running 24/7. I'm wondering if a real TNC would work better than a software TNC/modem. I wonder if there's like error detection in a TNC that a soft TNC/soundmodem doesn't have and thus I would able to pickup even more packets.

4. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

The Packet protocol itself includes error detection - correction involves a repeat transmission. If your "soundmodem" doesn't support error detection, then the TNC could provide error-free packets if reception were not an issue. However, in monitoring mode, I seem to recall (it's been many years) that error detection is turned off, and that the monitoring simply shows data that is (however) received.

5. N5CEY

N5CEY Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a similar set up that you have, old kenwood tr-7850 and a J-pole up about 25'. Using with a soundmodem(AGWPE) and have very reliable coverage out to about 25 miles.:cool: Many instances of coverage through ducting with distances over several hundred miles. The whole secret that we have found is having a reliable and FAST internet connection. He who has the best internet connection passes the most traffic to the internet:D I am a firm believer in "If it's not broke, don't fix it". You can find our I-gate as KF5INZ (My sons call). His aprs unit is KF5INZ-9.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  6. N5CEY

N5CEY Ham Member QRZ Page

We want to put up an aprs digipeater - how does a standalone tnc store the data to be re-transmitted?

7. W5RKL

W5RKL Ham Member QRZ Page

TNCs have a certain amount of RAM where data is stored for transmission or retranmission.

73s
    Mike

8. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

The Kantronics KPC-3+ TNC w/ 8.3 or 9.1 firmware (EPROM) is quite popular for this function.
    SO, you just need the radio and TNC (programmed with your PC and terminal program) and no additional computer at remote site for digipeater operation !!

The standalone TNCs have an 8-bit processor with RAM memory and EPROM, the Kantronics KPC-3+ TNC
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freescale_68HC11

uses the Motorola/Freescale 68HC11 microcontroller (popular with robotics users - Handy Board)
    http://www.mobile-effects.com/motorola/

===
    The sound card approach means you are tying up a PC with soundcard, OS, and digipeater software ..
    $$ in hardware/software assets at a remote site ... a simple TNC is FAR EASIER and cheaper.

w9gb

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  9. K7MHI

K7MHI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a PK900 TNC and also use the AGW software. Sounds like you mainly want to digi its been said 100 times but just thought I would put up my feedback, AGW is great software and for VHF work I have never had issues with it vs the PK900 even on HF for any "solid signal" I have had no serious issues.

but as said, the wonderful thing of a TNC is it operates with no PC you might have computers running all day long but I promise you that people wont like a Digi that might reboot or disappear due to technical issues. I know it sounds silly (I also have 2-3 computers in the shack running all day) but you have no idea how nice it is to have your BBS operate with no issues 24/7 regardless of power, patches, or accidents.

if you do want to check out the software route check out FBB, BQP and AGW-Digi software

I love seeing people on packet! look me up on Net105 or local KingCounty on .050

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.