ad: k1jek

SOS … --- … A Young Ham Needs Our Help!

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by NN9P, Apr 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NN9P

NN9P Ham Member

I am posting this article in hopes that some of you can see it in your hearts to help a young ham out with a serious upgrade his ham station needs in these tough economical times we are in. The young ham’s name is Vince, K9TSU and he lives in Monroe, WI. His family is on a restricted budget, so we are asking for your help in getting him a new mobile radio. Currently, he has a Yaesu FT-1900 & an older Yaesu FT-8000 dual-bander which has been having intermittent problems deeming it unreliable, including overheating due to the fan that stops working and receive and transmit difficulty. He was licensed last year at the age of 14 & is an avid satellite worker. In fact, he was just recently featured in an ARRL article posted in the youth column of their website. You can view it here: http://www.arrl.org/news/youth-hamradio-fun-getting-a-niche-in-amateur-radio.

Vince, now fifteen, has been a real asset to the area community, and not just in his own county. He has become the main NCS (Net Control Station) for the Winnebago County, IL ARES/SKYWARN group when severe weather strike where they operate on both 2 m. & 70 cm. repeaters.

With all of the hundreds of thousands of licensed hams out there, I’d like to take this opportunity to ask if anyone out there has a used, good working, dual band mobile radio out there they would be willing to donate to this kid and help get him a reliable radio. I will be happy to reimburse anyone for any shipping costs incurred. (Vince’s address is good on QRZ.com and with the FCC.) His family has a limited budget and does not have the means to purchase him a brand new or used one at the present time. As he helps out with so many different ham radio activities all around Southern Wisconsin and Northern Illinois, I know that all the area hams would be greatly appreciative of this.

*In addition, and having published several ham radio related articles both in QST magazine, the ARRL website, and “eham.com”, and with the donors consent, I will write an article for submission in QST magazine and/or the ARRL’s website. (Otherwise I will write the article as an anonymous donation having been made for a young local area ham.)

Please consider the cause and I know it would really make this kid’s day if we could come together and get him a nice, new, and reliable rig he could put to good use for all the activities he is involved with on the local bands. He is also the host of the Saturday Night Fun Net held on the KO9LR repeater on a freq. of 145.110 MHz w/ a PL of 123.0 Hz located in Monroe, WI held at 8:30 PM CDT. He is a back-up NCS for the Friday Night Fun Net held on the WX9MCS repeater on a freq. of 147.255 MHz w/ a PL of 114.8 Hz located in Rockford, IL held at 8 PM CDT.

Again, seriously interested parties may contact me directly at: ww2d-at-arrl.net. You can also contact Vince at: k9tsu-at-hotmail.com to verify what we are trying to do here. Let’s help him ‘ham it up’ by getting him a good radio to get him on the air for years to come! Thank you and God Bless DE WW2D of Rockford, IL.

Please note that if anyone would like to coordinate a cash donation to the cause and go in as a group to buy Vince a new or used radio somewhere, I am open to the idea, but would prefer to only ask around and see who has what to offer. I will also consider buying a nice, used dual-band mobile for Vince, but only have a $125 spending cap for the cause. If someone out there would like to offer one for sale, then please contact me directly. (Please note that I will require verification of call sign by having the sender use a registered email address on QRZ.com, phone number, and FCC registered address.)

Please, no negative or derogatory comments. I am simply trying to do my part in helping a local area young ham. If I had an extra radio to give to him, I would. But most of my equipment is old in itself, and I do not have an extra dual-band radio to spare. (In fact, I don’t even run one in the car.) I am simply making a general inquiry as there so many of you out there. Thanks and God Bless!

-Brad Smith of Loves Park, Illinois
    WW2D (HAM) & WQGZ475 (GMRS)

2. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member

I really don't mean for this to sound bad, but is there anything from preventing Vince from finding a job and saving up for a radio himself? I was his age when I became a ham. I was licensed at age 14 back in 1988 and upgraded to extra at age 15 a year later. I was also his age (14) when I got my first summer job at a grocery store. I learned to support my own hobbies by learning the value of working for what you want in life. Not a single thing was handed to me. Through hard work, I easily made enough money to buy a good used TenTec HF rig to replace the borrowed HW-16 that I had. I kept that around for a year, then sold it and worked more the next summer to purchase a TS-440S, brand new. Again, I really don't intend for this to sound negative. He does sound like a great kid with alot of enthusiasm for the hobby from what I've read in the article.

3. K9TSU

K9TSU Ham Member

James,
    I acknowledge your reply, and thanks for bringing that up. I'm sure people will wonder.

I did have a job that payed for my FT8000. Sadly, I got screwed out of that deal. I was told I was getting a working radio, but the thing doesn't work. Too expensive to fix. Besides that, the previous owner is now an SK shortly after purchase of the radio. (My luck)

In Wisconsin you have to be 16 to get a "worker permit" from our understanding. I have to put my money into other things. I've recenlty gone through a court battle over custody of myself between my divorced parents. My father brought a thirty-year-old woman from Peru back with him last year (I didn't know he married her) and told me she was my new mother. The next day I said I was done with being physically abused and decided to live with my mother. Ever since then I have had police questioning me and threatening that if I don't go back out there, they will throw my mother in jail. (Looks like this is finally wrapping up though).

Unfortunatly (who doesn't in these times) my mother is extremely low on money. The best job I can get is mowing the lawn for the land lord, and ocassionally fixing a few people's computers. That money has to get shoved into buying myself school supplies and such. Sadly, I have not been able to enjoy this hobby to its fullest. I did purchase my FT1900 by my self, in last August. That was before I could even dream of becoming a SKYWARN and ARES net controller. Recently, I ran my first SKYWARN net and was promoted to a control operator for the WX9MCS repeater systems. I would like to be able to utilize the UHF systems as well. Around here, the "clean" operators are on 70cm. My origional radio, the FT2400, was ruined because of a power surge. (I now use better surge protection. HI)

Again, I don't mean to sound "needy," it's just that money is very tight, and I do my school work and study after school, so there is no time for a job there.

Thanks for your reply, though.

(This is the link to the first SKYWARN net I ran. It is very long, but it gives you a "taste".) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX1zzkp3fdg

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  4. NN9P

NN9P Ham Member

You also have to take into consideration the fact that this isn't 1988 anymore. Meaning, we are currently still suffering from the greatest recession since the end of WWII. This recession started right aroundf Nov. '07 & it's in it's fifth year now and counting with no sign of relief. A lot of the jobs that were around when you and I were around his age have been taken-up by people like us, even those with high-level college degrees like Master's. I live in the most depressed city & county in my state and we've got people with M.S. degrees stocking shelves at Wal-Mart here.

You know what, not a single thing was handed to me either sir, but I felt the need to help a kid out who helps us out a lot in our respective communities. I'd even offer to pay $125 for a nice, used one. I appreciate your reading this posting, but the reality is the country is so bad-off that returning veterans from the Middle Eastern wars discharge from the Army and go right into food stamps and unemployment. Some even living out of their own cars or being forced to move their families in with inlaws. (Sure doesn't sound like the America I grew-up with and used to know, you know?...) Just a little food for a thought...73 de ww2d

5. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member

Hi Vince,
    Thanks for your reply. I didn't want to come off as sounding like a jerk or anything (which I may have.. sorry about that), I guess everyone's life's story is different. Here in NJ we can get our "working papers" signed by parents at age 14, which allows you to work. I guess from state to state it differs a bit as to what age you can start at, which would explain a few things. It sounds like you're doing what you can to make ends meet, which I can respect as I've been there and have had my share of troublesom times in the past. Well, I'd like to help.

6. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member

Brad, excellent point about the state of the economy. I'd even argue that the recession began earlier than that... the dot com bubble bursting back around 2000-2001, but that's another topic for another thread. I think it's nice what you're doing for him and I'd like to help if I can.

7. K9TSU

K9TSU Ham Member

No, You didn't sound like a jerk. Different states, as you said, have different rules. I didn't take any offense anyway.

--Vince

8. NN9P

NN9P Ham Member

ATTENTION EVERYONE, PLEASE! I received enough of a donation from a very generous ham (you know who you are) and along with my contribution, we were able to order this 'kid' a brand new Yaesu FT-7900R from GigaParts all within a single day of this article being posted. Thanks to QRZ.com for listing it and the other gentleman ham (name withheld as I do not have his consent to release it yet) who found it in his heart to help out a needy, young fellow ham. If this doesn't express the true colors of what this hobby is made-up of, I don't know what is! Wow!!!

9. NN9P

NN9P Ham Member

ATTENTION EVERYONE, PLEASE! I received enough of a donation from a very generous ham (you know who you are) and along with my contribution, we were able to order this 'kid' a brand new Yaesu FT-7900R from GigaParts all within a single day of this article being posted. Thanks to QRZ.com for listing it and the other gentleman ham (name withheld as I do not have his consent to release it yet) who found it in his heart to help out a needy, young fellow ham. If this doesn't express the true colors of what this hobby is made-up of, I don't know what is! Wow!!!

10. K9TSU

K9TSU Ham Member

THANKS! This means more to me than you think

11. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member

Sometimes it is good to give back to the hobby that offers so much, that is truly great news about the FT-7900 ;)

12. K9TSU

K9TSU Ham Member

THANKS GUYS!!! It's been working PERFECTLY

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.