ad: elecraft

Sorry, I'm New

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD7RBE, Mar 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KZ9U

KZ9U Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe I'm one of the odd ones then. I'm 34 now, an Extra, and have been licensed for.. Geeze, lemme think.. 12 years? Maybe a little longer.. I got into radio (CB) when I was pretty young (My mom had bought a truck that had a CB which I ended up with) I got books from the (Suburban Chicago) library and devoured them. There wasn't a book on radio, radio theory, operational practices, etc, that I hadn't read by the time I was 13 or 14, even though a lot of the more technical material was beyond my comprehension. I met, via CB, a guy who was selling some ham gear (A Cobra 142 GTL, which was the radio I coveted at the time) and went to his place to buy it. While there I saw his shack (He was an  SWL) and got my first taste of hearing for real DX that wasn't some guy calling himself "The Super Mud Duck in the Swamp", courtesy that CB ALWAYS lacked, and, apparently, a lot more understanding of how radio actually worked. I was hooked. As it turned out, there were a couple other CB Ops that were also Hams. Two of them became my Elmers. Without Rick and Don's input, I might never have become licensed. Both of them are CW gurus (I WISH I could keep up with them.. 30wpm is probably eternally out of my reach) and helped me as much as I was able to stand with learning code and how to send and copy it effectively. Since then I have "Elmered" a couple other people, one of whom has gone as far as his General class ticket.

Ok, this rambling has gone on long enough. Let me summarize it by saying this: "Anyone who doesn't take the time to help people get into the hobby, is thereby DOOMING the hobby."

2. KF4LNE

KF4LNE Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, When you get your ticket just jump in with both feet. Like i tell my g/f - who has been licensed for 2 years - don't complain if there isnt anyone to talk to, find someone. throw out a general CQ or such and answer thos general calls you hear. Thats how I meet other hams on air and it works. Good Luck!

3. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

RIGHT ON K1ZC!!!

Ahhhhhhh!!! The fresh aroma of "ROSIN-CORE SOLDER"!!!

Nothing compares to it, NOT EVEN SNIFFING GLUE!!! [​IMG]

nn6ee/JIM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.