Sorry, I'm New

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD7RBE, Mar 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KD7RBE

KD7RBE Ham Member QRZ Page

Just want to say how glad I am to have found this site.  I am not yet a Ham but hope to be soon.  I have been reading Tech Q&A and Now Your Talking and taking the practice exams on this site.  I have been passing them the last while.  I have always had an interest in Ham radio.  Trying to learn the code when I was a scout was a dismal failure (many years ago).  That closed the door for me.  I used CB for many years and met some nice people.  Things changed and those of us who tried to be nice were being blasted off the air by vulgar talk and high power.  I did not even dare leave it on with my wife and kids in the car.  

Many posts I have read have made comment on how stupid someone is if they pass the new Tech Test.  I hope you all don't feel that way.  So far I have been doing this on my own and would welcome help.  Some said that a spelling and grammer test should be included.  I can tell you some of the worst spelling and grammer I have read is in e-mail from so called higher ups where I work !  They don't use spell check ?  

What can I say, we are all human.  We all need to encourage, not tear down.  We all learn in different ways Hope to find this in the Ham hobby and to pass and have a call sign soon.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think anyone's said that if you pass the new Tech test, you must be stupid. That's rather ridiculous.

What has been said, more accurately, is that there has been a noted "dumbing down" of American hams -- and I should include British hams as well, since they've experienced the same kind of "easy entry" license classes we have here -- in general, over the past several years. And it's not "the Techs," it's everybody, including the Extras.

This of course does not imply that geniuses who are highly successful in every endeavor and hold multiple graduate degrees are not also becoming hams. Of course they are. They are not stupid.

The problem, as I and many others see it, is that the "system" as we have it today does not encourage hams to actually know anything about electronic theory, communications or propagation theory, electromagnetic theory, or much of anything in order to be granted a license. And it did not used to be this way.

As a result, we now have hams, most of whom are perfectly nice, intelligent people, who get started knowing absolutely nothing and having to ask the most simplistic questions in order to figure out how to get on the air. And it did not used to be this way.

That's it!

73 & good luck, welcome to the hobby!

Steve, WB2WIK/6

3. WA6CAW

WA6CAW Ham Member QRZ Page

WELCOME ! !

This is a good hobby. Some times the wife does not think so, but hey, us guys have to do a guy thing.(excuse me for the YL's ) but it's fun, if you don't take it too seriously, as some do.

Some technical terms and theory are required, but most hams are glad to help. That is how they got to be advanced hams, way back.

Visit the local ham store,not Radio Shack, and starter books are availble for almost any level of technical expertise.

It's fun, and I personally congratulate you and look forward to possibly talking (qso) to you via the air waves.

Again thanks for chosing the radio hobby, and again......welcome.

from WA6CAW, Lou M.

4. KD5KUF

KD5KUF Guest

You will find the majority of hams are good people and good operators. I have heard some of the less technical hams on the air and for the most part everyone is patient and tries to help them. We are not all supergenius electronics engineers, and there are many things for each one of us to learn.
    There are many facets to ham radio, try all that interest you and maybe some that don't. You might get hooked on a new mode.
    My only real advice is to take your time and learn as you go. Don't be in a huge rush to upgrade to general, then extra in six months. Enjoy what tech priviledges offer, then move up when ready. I too, have trouble learning code. If everyone on the radio sounded like the tapes I could probably get it down. And many new Extras I have talked to end up back on vhf and uhf and somewhat regret trying to do it all "right now". It is a lifetime hobby to be savored. [​IMG]

5. KB9YFI

KB9YFI Ham Member QRZ Page

You are certainly not stupid for wanting to take the tech test. You don't have to be a genius to pass it though. All it takes is about an 8th grade reading comprehension level and about 3 hours to work through the "now you are talking" book. Keep taking the test here until you can find a VE session close to you and go take it! If you can find a place to take it this weekend then do it. You will be waiting a couple of weeks to get your call sign depending on how quickly the VE's send in your paperwork. If you are at all like me you will be bursting at the seems waiting to find your name and new call in the new hams section of this website. Do it now and avoid rear-end loading of your wait-time.

Welcome to a great hobby. Remember not to take yourself too seriously but still have pride in the hobby/service. Get involved with some community service events and you will instantly be accepted into the clique that some areas have. Get involved but do more listening than you do talking for a while and you will enjoy yourself a lot more as a tech. Remember as a tech there is only a limited number of other hams in your geographic area you can communicate on the air with on VHF/UHF. Get along with them and be an asset to the community and they will accept you that much faster. Have fun! Don't spend too much money on radios until you have enough experience to know what you really want and need [​IMG]

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Welcome aboard!

Try to take what you read here and elsewhere on the internet with a grain of salt. Some of the thoughts and openions expressed here are of the doomsayer sort and come from emotions a hobby shouldn't be capable of evoking.

That having been said, welcome to Amateur Radio and may your experience be long and enjoyable! See ya' on the bands!

73 de Craig...........KCØGOA [​IMG]

7. KD7RBE

KD7RBE Ham Member QRZ Page

Just wanted to say thank you for all the welcome's. A common problem with e-mail or postings is you can't tell what the person is feeling. That being said, I was trying to say from some postings it appears some don't like the new test standards. I don't blame you for wanting to protect what you have. I am just glad now I have a chance to give it a shot without code. Who knows with some help and new ideas I could pass code !

After all, I did not know about this site before and it has been a great help already.

8. KG4JMW

KG4JMW QRZ Member QRZ Page

You know I am more than a little disappointed my self, I worked hard to get my Tech. ticket only to be shunned in my area. I could not wait to get on the air but when I did it was like I was sick or something, I could hardly get anyone to talk. I am no big brain, but I feel I have a lot to offer no matter what these old timers think. I had read a lot about elmers and the like willing to work with new techs and help them learn, but that never happened.

Recently I have considered selling off my equipment and just walking away.

9. KD5KUF

KD5KUF Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KG4JMW @ Mar. 30 2002,09:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You know I am more than a little disappointed my self, I worked hard to get my Tech. ticket only to be shunned in my area. I could not wait to get on the air but when I did it was like I was sick or something, I could hardly get anyone to talk. I am no big brain, but I feel I have a lot to offer no matter what these old timers think. I had read a lot about elmers and the like willing to work with new techs and help them learn, but that never happened.

Recently I have considered selling off my equipment and just walking away.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I see this alot on this forum. Don't give up on the hobby because of some sourpusses. I personally haven't been able to find a club locally that wasn't clickish and standoffish. I do most of my contacts on simplex, were I have never had a problem. A 50 watt 2m FM rig on a power supply and a simple ground plane can give you about 75 mile radius of coverage. A beam can extend this quite a bit. SSB on 6m-2m-70cm can extend to phenominal distances with a band opening. Then there are other modes such as digital, cw, satellite, etc., so if you can't find a friendly operator nearby you can still reach out to many good operators without the approval of the local &quot;elite&quot;. [​IMG]

10. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Jeeeezzzz Steve/WIK,

I did'nt think I'd ever agree with you but your last statement is TRUE!!!

Today's recent hams are nothing more than GOOD MERORIZERS!!! It does'nt take one iota of learnt knowledge anymore!!! It really is a shame that the new guys don't really care to learn about the nuts and bolts of ELECTRONICS!!!

Today it's instant gratification no more no less!!! Example: &quot; I DON'T WANT TO LEARN THE CODE IT'S USELESS ANYWAY!!! Or Why study for theory when I'll easily Ace the Test because I've got a memory &quot;LIKE A CLAM!!!&quot; I'll just PLUG IN MY RIG AND HOOK UP A DUMB ANTENNA and I'll be there with the BIG BOYS on HF PHONE, NO PROBLEM!!!

Really even after being in this hobby for almost 40 years I'm still awed by TELECOMMUNICATIONS and how it's actually accomplished!!!

If the young Guy is really interested in the hobby just don't take the most preferred route into the hobby, which is memorizing the stuff, but take the time to LEARN ABOUT THE &quot;WHYS&quot; of it!!!

You'll be glad you did!!!

[​IMG] and WELCOME TO THE HOBBY/SERVICE!!!

JIM/nn6ee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.