Someone using my call WW8PR

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by WW8PR, May 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. WW8PR

WW8PR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just received an email that someone is using my call ww8pr. He was offering a yaesu 1200b. I do not have 5his, I did not post the ad. Any ad from me has my email paul.rebres@gmail.com and usually my phone number 740 219 50xx. I'm attaching the email.

Beware. Screenshot_20190502-193820_Gmail.jpg

2. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

You were likely targeted by a scammer because you do not have an email listed on your profile page, which makes it more difficult for potential buyers to contact you for verification (of course they could use the QRZ messaging system but not everyone does). To help prevent this from happening again you should add an email address, which will only be visible to logged-in ham members.
    Also if you don't currently have anything for sale you should put a disclaimer on your page to that effect.

AJ4GQ and W7UUU like this.
  3. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

You said, "Any ad from me has my email paul.rebres@gmail.com and . . ." Not so. Your QRZ ads show a different email. By the way, posting your telephone number and PayPal address publicly is an invitation some scammers will not be able to resist.

4. K6RXI

K6RXI Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Paul
    You might want post in Your Bio the way I did on my QRZ Page , { Just State That You have nothing for sale or Not looking to buy any Radio equipment at All } . I Just wanted to give some friendly advice as some-one took and used my call-sign K4TXI about 12 years ago and caused some problem's and I had to get a Attorney to sort everything out and in the End come to find out the person that caused my problem was over-sea's , it Finally got resolved it was not on this site though . Fred and the QRZ staff here are good at monitoring what goes on and I am Thankful for them . Hope this will help 73 Todd K6RXI

5. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Good for you Paul. You got rid of the arduino email that was on your QRZ page. Probably still a good idea to heed the advice from K6RXI and WB2LBV to add a disclaimer at the top of your Bio page.