Someone is either broadcasting repeater output on simplex or bleeding through on 146.565 in Orlando

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by KN4DQE, Jan 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
  1. KN4DQE

KN4DQE Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm scanning the simplex channels tonight on my TM-V71A in addition to listening to the nets going on. The East Cost Tech Net is happening right now, and someone is broadcasting the net on 146.565. The ARRL band plan shows this to be a simplex channel. Not sure what's going on, but this is the first time I've heard this. The signal isn't coming in very good....I wonder if someone is doing cross-band repeat or something?

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe it is a echolink or allstar node.

3. KN4DQE

Maybe....but why on a simplex frequency?

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe the "re-broadcaster" believes there would be an audience there; or maybe it's really on another frequency, and you're receiving an image.

Look up the I.F. of your receiver and tune above and below 146.565 by the I.F. frequency and see if you hear it "again," and possibly stronger. Amateur receivers, especially inexpensive VHF-UHF receivers with wideband coverage, are also very prone to intermodulation (mixing products) which can produce phantom signals that aren't on the frequency you're tuned to.

5. WA9ZZZ

WA9ZZZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

People do put up simplex nodes for echolink, IRLP, etc. Don't ask me why.

A search of the IRLP web site shows a simplex node on 146.565 in Davenport, FL which is not far from Orlando. It also shows that that node is linked to node 9050, the East Coast reflector where the Tech Net is held. So that is probably what you are hearing.

An image is unlikely. A VHF receiver would typically have an IF in the MHz range (10.7 MHz is common). An image would be offset by 2x the IF and thus far outside the 2m ham band.

6. KN4DQE

This is very good info - I was not aware of this....Davenport is closer to me than Orlando, which is just the general vicinity.