ad: M2Ant-1

Solar Storms are a fact of life. An enormous solar storm struck Earth around 591 BC

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K1LPI, Mar 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W9VTT

W9VTT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

love it when people just spit out BS .it make them sound really really smart. almost like as if they were there.

2. N5VAF

N5VAF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Whatever happened to all the ice from the ice age....

3. KI7PMQ

KI7PMQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So that is why I couldn't work Judea or Phoenicia that weekend.

WR2E and W1TRY like this.
  4. KI7PMQ

5. KI7PMQ

I remember when the Soviet Woodpecker started it was feared that was what they may be experimenting with.
    During the latter stages of the Cold War.

6. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Cocktails for the Party?
    (I bet there was one hell of a party when they could actually start counting forward)
    Ymmv

N4MMI, W1TRY and N5VAF like this.
  7. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

It's in the Oceans... What do you think happened to it?

Dan KI4AX

N4AHO and N5VAF like this.
  8. N5VAF

N5VAF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think global warming melted it and it's been going on for millions of years.

9. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

The $64 question of the day is what caused the globe to warm? Perhaps we need another 'planet killing' event to cool things off again.

It seems odd to me that so many very well educated Scientists believe in global warming while the very uneducated Non-Scientists don't believe in it. Could it be that the Scientists are looking at some thing, possibly studies and data, that lead them to believe it? What (or who) are the Non-Scientists looking at in order to form their own independent opinions? Other Non-Scientists who are only interested in keeping things the way they are (or were in the past) because it is profitable for them?

The fable of the Pied Piper comes to mind. Perhaps the 'leading' Non-Scientist, that the other Non-Scientists follow blindly, could offer up something other than pure opinion (the piper's tune) as proof?

Hmmm.... Interesting, to say the least.

Dan KI4AX

10. N4AHO

N4AHO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I remember that storm. It wasn't so bad. We could still send Morse by smoke.

N5VAF likes this.
  11. N4AHO

N4AHO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Resistance is futile. You will be evaporated!

WQ4G likes this.
  12. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Protons, neutrons, and I'm pretty sure I qualify as an oldtron.

N0TZU likes this.
  13. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

THUS SAYETH WIKIPEDIA:

"Ice cores containing thin nitrate-rich layers have been analysed to reconstruct a history of past solar storms predating reliable observations. Some researchers have stated that data from Greenland ice cores show evidence of individual solar-proton events, including the Carrington event. More recent work by the ice core community casts significant doubt on this interpretation, and shows that nitrate spikes are not a result of solar energetic particle events. Indeed, no consistency is found in cores from Greenland and Antarctica, and nitrate events can be due to terrestrial events such as burnings, so use of this technique is now in doubt.[24][25][26]

Less severe storms have occurred in 1921 and 1960, when widespread radio disruption was reported. The March 1989 geomagnetic storm knocked out power across large sections of Quebec. On July 23, 2012 a "Carrington-class" solar superstorm (solar flare, coronal mass ejection, solar EMP) was observed; its trajectory missed Earth in orbit. Information about these observations was first shared publicly by NASA on April 28, 2014."

14. KE0DNZ

KE0DNZ Ham Member QRZ Page

And considering how many '500-year floods' we seem to be having lately... :eek:

KD8ZM likes this.
  15. KD5PUR

KD5PUR Ham Member QRZ Page