ad: hrd-2

Solar Panels....

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB4MNG, Jun 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AD5MB

AD5MB Ham Member QRZ Page

if you cover one cell within the panel, all voltage drops to zero. each cell is a resistor when it is not a contributor. if that happens in a series array, all current from other panels in the array flow though that resistor and it gets hot. keep the arrays in continuous sunlight, and mine do not go on any roof but a thick galvanized tin roof.

2. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

When we took Little Miss Field Day to Vermont for her summer internship last month, shortly after we exited NYS and entered VT we started noticing solar panel farms. A LOT of them. Not all were huge, many were about the same square footage (give or take) as our rooftop panels. Very impressive!

My only real surprise is why so many were in VT, and we saw almost none like that in NYS. Possibly tax incentives?

3. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Solar panels don't cause RFI. The panels themselves are just DC current sources.

There are all kinds of devices that one can attach to solar panels that can be very noisy. But that's not the panels' fault. :)

NL7W and K7WFM like this.
  4. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

We have ten 100W Renogy panels. Two on the current RV to keep the house batteries charged and 8 in reserve for the new RV when it arrives. If you watch Amazon they regularly have deals of the day for the 100W mono panels for $100. That's $1 a watt! They are very sturdy panels and are guaranteed for full output for 20 years. One or two panels are somewhat 'portable' if transported in a vehicle.

We sometimes carry a "portable" 100W panel with us if we're camping for more than a couple of days for extra solar charge amps.
    DSCN2132.JPG

KC8VWM likes this.
  5. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

The type of controller you use can also make a significant difference in terms of how much power is harvested from your panels.

So just because you have a 75 watt panel, doesn't mean you will get that amount of power from them.

[​IMG]

K7WFM and KK5JY like this.
  6. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, I have several such devices, and I can confirm that they are worth the extra cost. I use MorningStar devices, right next to my HF antennas, and they haven't caused me any RFI problems to date.

It's too bad I can't say that about inverters... :oops:

KC8VWM likes this.
  7. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly. Choosing the right charge controller is like buying extra solar panel capacity. Pays for itself.

K7WFM and KK5JY like this.
  8. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

This. We're ready to drop the hammer on a Victron 60amp MPPT controller. It has bluetooth monitoring and control via an app.

KC8VWM likes this.
  9. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you give us a little more information about your experience with the genasun MPPT controller?

How did you search for Noise produced by it?

I had trouble figuring out their prices, could you tell us what kind of power level you purchased and how much it cost?

Thanks!!

10. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

An HF rig at 100W needs about 260-270 watts from the battery to transmit. You have to decide how much of that you want to put back into the battery during the day. You do spend most time listening, and transmitting could be at a reduced power.

So what is the ratio of time you transmit to receiving?

I like solar panels and I find the 50-100w units more than enough. Excluding me, there are some experienced folks on QRZ, listen to their situations.