Solar Flux 218; A-Index 6; K-Index 1

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by NL7W, Jan 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

If you're going to operate HF before heading back to work in earnest, today might be the day to do it!

Solar Flux Index (SFI): 218

A-Index: 6 (low)

K-Index: 1 (very low)

These might be the best numbers of the winter. Let's hope they hold through the day.

Good Luck, and see you on 10 or 15M today.

Steven

2. KB3LIX

KB3LIX Ham Member QRZ Page

I expected 10m to be a lot better today, but so far, not really.

I'm handing out points in the RTTY RoundUp.

3. KB1WSY

KB1WSY Ham Member QRZ Page

Very cool indeed. I am hearing signals (faint CW) on 10m, using my homebrew 3-transistor regenerative receiver.

For the whole of the previous 7 months since i build the set, I've never heard anything at all on 10m. Not a sausage.

Now let's see if I can copy some of those QSOs!!!

4. KB1WSY

Folks, the 10m station I'm hearing on my primitive equipment is N1CC whose QTH is Frankston, TX. Very cool.

He is calling CQ, strong signal (RST 579 here), medium speed CW as of 1713 UTC with no takers so far. Frequency approximately 28028 (remember that I'm technologically in the 1960s with homebrew gear, so don't expect a precise frequency from me!).

From time to time it gets much fainter, then comes back strong. Doesn't sound like QSB, I think he is swinging his beam.

Rest of the band: up, I can hear some very faint SSB but cannot copy.

Lovely to get some use out of that little 10m coil I wound last summer....

Edited to add further monitoring as of 1730 UTC:
    --Medium-speed CW QSO on about 28250.
    --Slow CW QSO on about 28290.
    (Haven't caught any of the callsigns yet.)

There are heavy, whooshing waves of QRN swamping the signals periodically.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  5. KB1WSY

At 1816 UTC I can hear the K5TLL/B beacon, QTH Hattiesburg, MS, on 28298 with heavy QRN but legible. We seem to have an opening south=>north on the band given what I'm hearing.

6. K9ASE

K9ASE Ham Member QRZ Page

combine that with a foot of snow so far and sub zero temps on there way and you may be right.

7. KB1WSY

Eat your hearts out....

Oyez, oyez! Ye denizens of the thousand-dollar rigs, eat your hearts out!

I have this day heard CW and SSB signals on 10m, and in some quantity. (Listed in my earlier posts, and several more since.)

Any DX? Well, one of them seemed to be a QSO on 28002 between an "I" and a "K" but I cannot confirm that since I didn't get the entire callsigns. It was at around 1900UTC.

All of this with a set that relies upon a single MPF-104 FET regenerative detector (at center in the photo below) followed by a two-transistor audio stage.

Eat Your Heart Out 1.jpg

Admittedly the conditions today were very good and it's the first time I've ever heard anything on 10m....

Also admittedly, tuning the set on 10m is a challenge. All sorts of adjustments, including the addition of a series capacitor on the antenna input and messing around with some other component values. Plus, because of the considerable width of the 10m band, tuning across the band is a two-handed affair, one of them on the big tuning dial and the other on the fine regeneration control.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  8. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Just worked W0LS, W7NGA and WA6HDY... all on 21.440 MHz AM. Sigs were weak to moderate.

I was fully modulating a 175-Watt carrier. Lots of fun. :)

9. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

Despite the SFI being 218 the bands sounded no different to when it was 120. Nobody on PSK is hearing or working any DX, all I'm seeing are the same stations I always see. So it seems the SFI means nothing these days because the upper atmosphere isn't being ionised

Mel G0GQK

10. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Yesterday wasn't so special in my book either.

Eh... a bust in my book.

I was hoping.

11. AD4DQ

AD4DQ Ham Member QRZ Page

10 has been bad the last few days. 15 has been great. Working a ton of European DX every morning.
    SF hitting 222 today.... very nice

12. K9ASE

K9ASE Ham Member QRZ Page

10 aint so great today either I was on 10 AM earlier and signals were really up and down

13. KB1WSY

10m was totally dead here mid-day today.

14. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

10 sounds decent here, just not many people on - beacons from west coast are very loud...

15. KD2AFE

KD2AFE Ham Member QRZ Page

Tried 15m psk last night (jg1xmv) after seeing the numbers. Total bust. No reply at all. I was also the only station trying to call here locally. Maybe after the rtty contest and easy qsos ppl not interested in the extra 'effort' it takes.

16. AK6ZZ

AK6ZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I I have been hoping to see some F2 on 6m with the higher SFI and fairly low A&K but there has been nothing. Not sure why everything is so quiet on the bands. I am sure things will pick up once we get some new dxpeditons like Amsterdam island coming up. Hope the conditions keep rolling.

17. WN2C

WN2C Ham Member QRZ Page

Since the sun has flipped polarity, shouldn't the numbers be in the negative? Sounds like it should be considering the lack of strong signals.

WN2C

18. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

No doubt they're all sitting in front of their computers looking at DX clusters, wondering why they aren't hearing anything on their radios.

19. KB1WSY

Was checking our local WX on the NOAA site this morning and their main headline is:

"Space Weather Update - Strong Solar Radiation Storm In Progress

"The ongoing Moderate Solar Radiation Storm has intensified to a Strong event. Activity should stay at this level for the next few hours, then likely take another jump ahead of a Coronal Mass Ejection (CME) that is expected to occur overnight. This increase is not expected to exceed the S3 level. The CME is forecast to set off Strong Geomagnetic Storm activity through Friday. Watch for Auroras!"

More here: http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  20. N8CPA

N8CPA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.