ad: Radclub22-1

Solar cycle 25 prediction panel 5/4/19

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M0YRX, Apr 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. M0YRX

M0YRX Ham Member QRZ Page

https://www.weather.gov/news/190504-sun-activity-in-solar-cycle.

April 5, 2019 - Scientists charged with predicting the Sun’s activity for the next 11-year solar cycle say that it’s likely to be weak, much like the current one. The current solar cycle, Cycle 24, is declining and predicted to reach solar minimum - the period when the Sun is least active - late in 2019 or 2020.

Solar Cycle 25 Prediction Panel experts said Solar Cycle 25 may have a slow start, but is anticipated to peak with solar maximum occurring between 2023 and 2026, and a sunspot range of 95 to 130. This is well below the average number of sunspots, which typically ranges from 140 to 220 sunspots per solar cycle. The panel has high confidence that the coming cycle should break the trend of weakening solar activity seen over the past four cycles.

“We expect Solar Cycle 25 will be very similar to Cycle 24: another fairly weak cycle, preceded by a long, deep minimum,” said panel co-chair Lisa Upton, Ph.D., solar physicist with Space Systems Research Corp. “The expectation that Cycle 25 will be comparable in size to Cycle 24 means that the steady decline in solar cycle amplitude, seen from cycles 21-24, has come to an end and that there is no indication that we are currently approaching a Maunder-type minimum in solar activity.”

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2019
    K4NAL, N1GKE and KK4HPY like this.
  2. W6FYK

W6FYK Ham Member QRZ Page

They come and they go.
    I just ordered my kx2.

N6SPP, KG8DM, KA0EQM and 5 others like this.
  3. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Just have to make the QRP operations - more efficient ;)

N8TUW, AC7S, K5VZD and 2 others like this.
  4. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Time to build that 3CW20000A7 propagation maker:eek: That blower is just for the 750W filament.

That display was built at a local college to demonstrate water cooling and the tube has never had HV applied. Honestly, I dont have the cojones to mess with that much power:D:rolleyes:

Carl

Attached Files:

W7KDH, KM6MHZ, KC2DHU and 3 others like this.
  5. G0OQX

G0OQX Ham Member QRZ Page

Doom and gloom everywhere, but since FT8 started I'm perfectly happy operating under these dismal conditions. When cycle 25 peaks will we get bored operating all the easy DX??

N0NAV, W8BBM, K4WWK and 3 others like this.
  6. G5TM

G5TM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Its something to look forward to.

N9NY, W1YW, W7XLR and 2 others like this.
  7. WD5JKO

WD5JKO Ham Member QRZ Page

I attach a graph of global temperature swings over 4500+ years. The two variables used for that analysis are solar radiation and volcanic activity. This was done in 2011, and they correctly predicted some cooling between then and 2019. They do project a Hot Dry cycle moving ahead to 2038....but then the topic of this thread is a weak cycle 24, and cycle 25 with a long space in between. Maybe we continue to cool for a while?

Jim
    Wd5JKO

Attached Files:

N0LZS, K4WWK and W1YW like this.
  8. W6FYK

W6FYK Ham Member QRZ Page

IMG_3137.JPG

But dad thats not QRP

K4MIM and N4AHO like this.
  9. WD5JKO

WD5JKO Ham Member QRZ Page

630M should be doing good.

Attached Files:

N5VAF likes this.
  10. VE7DXW

VE7DXW Ham Member QRZ Page

N4GST likes this.
  11. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm so glad I took up golf. I had a feeling the predictions about the same or worst as cycle 24. I hope the predictions are WRONG and propagation is better than the last,BUT I haven't seen the bands like they were 18 to 25 years ago when 20 was open around the clock, 15 was open until 1 am EDT and open just after sunrise and 10 meters open full blast for sunrise to a few hours after sunset. I miss those days of having a nice ssb contacts with people in a round table of 4 from western Europe,USA,Australia and Africa on 15 meters and working dx on 15 and 20 from my hf mobile.Well this happening again in my life time is never gonna happen again, So off to the golf courses and play pro golf. I guess there's always 11 meters, but if there's no dx to be had, glad I turned pro golf a few years ago.

W8VI and AK5B like this.
  12. KA1BSZ

why not??? I remember seeing an ad in QTH.COM for Russian built amplifier that was rated 10 kw and then there's the ENTRONS amps built in Australia and those are rated pretty high power. So why not? who's gonna complain? everything is legal until you get caught.....so you gotta big rock crusher hidden in your shack? get it out and BLAST THE AIR!!!! I'll even help you hook it up!!!

13. KA1BSZ

I used to know of an old timer many years ago when I first got into ham radio, in my novice days. This guy was a ham back in the late 1920's and 30's when he told me that he used run 25 kw on am and cw. Then he told me about a ham in Ohio that ran 200,000 watts and it would generate so much rf, that people's light bulbs would glow when their switches were turned off. He said peoples homes would be energized for about 5 miles away. He said the communications act of 1934 put the kabosse to a lot of hams that ran super high powered stations on am. Well....I run mobile most of the time because we had an ice storm last month that took down all of the antennas on the roof of my hotel, But I enjoy running mobile,it's fun and it's a challenge and it is really nice when you work someone from Australia,Asia or Japan on PSK,CW or SSB and they are quite surprised when they hear the word MOBILE. So I'll continue to be mobile until my antennas get back up sometime this summer or fall, until then it is mobile. 73 de KA1BSZ/M thank you.

14. KA1BSZ

How about bringing SPARK back?

15. N4MIT

N4MIT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I remember working India on 20m SSB Longpath 20 yrs ago. I'm like you ... its doubtful that I will live long enough to see another decent sunspot cycle.

KA1BSZ likes this.